Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnbo
Level 7

Loading video to my Roku Smart TV's

I down loaded the Roku Mobil app, it will load a single picture to any of my three Roku Smart TV's but when I try to load a video it sticks after about 1/3 of the video is loaded what should I do?

Thanks Johnbo

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Loading video to my Roku Smart TV's

It sounds like the video you are attempting to play is not compatible with Roku devices. You can only play a limited number of video and audio codecs, and even fewer containers. You can look at this page for more information about supported media. I realize it isn't specific to plaything through the app, but I believe the same limitations apply. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Johnbo
Level 7

Thanks:  I would understand if the video and pictures came from a different source, but I took the pictures with my phone and they appeared ok then recorded a video from my phone and it will not fully load.

Johnbo

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

It depends on the format the phone video was shot/saved in. Most iPhones will record in MP4, which Roku supports. Other brands I can't say the same for, unless there's a setting in the phone to configure it. And it might depend on the resolution, so if you're shooting 4K video on the phone and you're trying to play it on a 1080 TV, that might be an issue as well.

And I'm not discounting the possibility that the Roku app is misbehaving. That is certainly a potential issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Johnbo
Level 7

My Phone is a Samsung 12 A android phone, I will uninstall the app and reinstall and see what happens.  Just found out my phone records video in the MP4 format.

Thanks

Johnbo

0 Kudos