Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Invalid "IP Address Not Supported" error

@deheubarth wrote:

Roku support where are you!  We just got a Roku TV essentially for this feature and it doesn't work!  This issue has been open months get your act together.  

The Roku remote app for iOS works perfectly on my network for all my Roku devices, including two Roku TVs. So to assist you, we need more information. What model Roku TV (brand name would help), is it connected via WiFi or hard wired, what is the IP address range your network is using (usually 192.198.0.x)?

Be aware that the problem is often with a security setting in your wireless router that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. This might be enabled by default, and if you're using what the router calls a "guest network" I can almost guarantee that's turned on. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jetski777
Level 8

I believe the issue is Android Apps on Chromebooks have  different IP address than the Chromebook itself. Android apps on my Pixelbook have and IP address of 100.115.92.14 which is in a typical subnet for Chromebook Android apps. The Roku app doesn't like that subnet. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@jetski777 wrote:

I believe the issue is Android Apps on Chromebooks have  different IP address than the Chromebook itself. Android apps on my Pixelbook have and IP address of 100.115.92.14 which is in a typical subnet for Chromebook Android apps. The Roku app doesn't like that subnet. 

That would be correct. The app has to have an IP address that's officially one of the private IP address ranges. Officially, that's a public IP address, and if I were Roku I wouldn't allow it to work in that range either. Since there's no login credentials to use the Roku app, it needs to be on a private network for security. 

Why Chromebooks do that, I have no idea. They should be able to use the device's network IP address, the same as any other computer app. This is no fault of Roku. That's something Google needs to address in the Chrome OS. I've never played with a Chromebook. Any chance there's a setting somewhere that permits apps to use the OS IP address? 

Dan

0 Kudos
SierraPapa
Level 7

I have come to learn that ChromeOS essentially sets up an Android emulator to run Android apps.  To the extent that these apps can interoperate with the Internet, it should just be a matter of developing ChromeOS code to map emulated network connections to real IPs in a local network.  App developers, however, have little incentive to make specific accommodations for Chromebook users, which would be my guess.

0 Kudos
Lasher
Level 7

Not all IP addresses that are not the standard Private ones (10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16) are public IP addresses.  The 100.115.92.14 that Chromebooks used is classified as "100.64.0.0/10 - Shared Address Space" and can't be routed over the public internet so in effect is a private address space.

Any addresses in the link below that has Globally Reachable equal to False is a non Public IP address space and should be removed from the Public IP filter in the app.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

you can also use a longer HDMI cable direct to TV from Chromebook.

Makes life less complicated.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Lasher wrote:

Not all IP addresses that are not the standard Private ones (10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16) are public IP addresses.  The 100.115.92.14 that Chromebooks used is classified as "100.64.0.0/10 - Shared Address Space" and can't be routed over the public internet so in effect is a private address space.

Any addresses in the link below that has Globally Reachable equal to False is a non Public IP address space and should be removed from the Public IP filter in the app.

That is good information to know. I had always ignored that group of IP addresses, since it was something that I would never use myself. 

However, even if Roku added that range to the accepted list, it still wouldn't work for the app because in this scenario the app and the Roku are on different IP address ranges. The Roku app only works if the Roku and the app device are on the same network address range. And I wouldn't want Roku to make the app work regardless of the IP address range in use if the two weren't using the same range. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Lasher
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

That is good information to know. I had always ignored that group of IP addresses, since it was something that I would never use myself. 

As a user of that group of IP addresses it would be nice if they did so I too could use the app without a network redesign.

0 Kudos
ejep520
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

@Lasher wrote:

However, even if Roku added that range to the accepted list, it still wouldn't work for the app because in this scenario the app and the Roku are on different IP address ranges. The Roku app only works if the Roku and the app device are on the same network address range. And I wouldn't want Roku to make the app work regardless of the IP address range in use if the two weren't using the same range. 

This might be going into the *nix weeds a bit, so non-techie peoples, I apologize to you in advance. Okay, not might; will.

The 100.64.0.0/10 addresses used by Chromebook are bound to arcbr0 and arc_wlan0. These appear to be used by a zero-configuration protocol similar to Bonjour for multicasting a device's abilities to the local network. On a guess, I would suspect that the programming in the Roku app is set up to look for the first "wlan0" it can find and attempt to use that for the rest of its programming. Because "arc_wlan0" is before "wlan0" alphabetically, the program finds and attempts to use it first and gives up when it finds a "non-public" IP address. There are no attempts to find additional interfaces with "wlan0" in the label, nor "wlan1," etc.

The fix would require a dive into the Roku app's code, possibly into arcana that is deeper and more convoluted than most of their current programming staff (*elbow*elbow*) dare to go. I'm not saying they're not up to the challenge; I'm saying I don't think they'll make the attempt in any of our lifetimes.

To that end, it might be better for all of us to move on to another, similar app.

0 Kudos
Me_Me
Level 7

I just got the same error trying to install this app for the first time, but I'm on a Pixel 2 phone not a Chromebook. My IP range has been different than 192., 172. or 10. for decades. Everything works perfectly fine, from OBi, to Ring, to androids, to Windows, and even Raspberry PIs. All the apps on my phone work perfectly fine too.

Why does this app have to be the network cops? Bringing down the hammer on anyone deviating from the network rules and regulations. Come on, just work! My TV is hardwired and gets internet just fine. My phone works perfectly fine through my WiFi. All are on the same subnet. But this app refuses to run.

Do I really have to restructure my decades old network just to run one app?

0 Kudos