Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Invalid "IP Address Not Supported" error

I'm setting up my new Chromebook (ASUS C425) and when I try to connect the Roku Remote app to find devices on my network it shows them all (one Roku TV, two older model Roku boxes) for a split second, then over top of the list it comes up with the "IP Address Not Supported - We've detected that your device is currently connected to a public IP address....." error. 

I've confirmed that I am not somehow using a public IP (both the Roku TV and the new Chromebook are on 192.168.1.x addresses), and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app on the new Chromebook, but no joy.

We've been using the app for well over a year, on this same network (no recent changes), on both of our android phones, iPad, and my old Chromebook.  The app still works on those devices, so I am at a loss for what to try next.

Labels (2)
26 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Invalid "IP Address Not Supported" error

I am having exact same issue.  Phones and tablets with remote app work fine. new chromebook shows roku device found but give ip error on top of it.  ALL devices on same 10.x.x.x network, same dhcp server etc . . .

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 7

Anyone from Roku looking into this? I'm seeing the same issue. Just want to stream some music from my ChromeBook to the TV through the Roku stick. Both my ChromeBook and my Roku stick are on the 192.168.1.x subnet. My phone app connects to all of my Rokus properly, and I just installed the Roku app on my ChromeBook, so it's the latest version.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the exact same problem with my chromebook.  I thought it was a very odd error, because I KNOW I'm not on any public network.  The app is clearly reporting the wrong I.P.  At first I thought it was my VPN, but I havent used it in a while so there is something about a chrome book that it just doesnt like.

Tags (2)
Level 7

Google Chrome hijacked my iOS system and I had to remove G.C. and everything Google to restore “normalcy” to my iOS devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I simply went to Chrome>Settings>Apps>Manage your apps>Roku>More settings and permissions, Forced Stop, ...>Storage>Clear Cache, gave all permissions, and restarted Roku. Viola! No more error on all four devices from Chrome OS.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

KG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I appreciate the tip, but I just tried it and it didn't fix the error.

Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks I’ll give it a try and get back on the thread later to let you know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i tried too it didnt work

Highlighted
Level 7

Would be great to see some kind of progress on this. I've tried various workarounds I've seen around, but nothing has worked. 

I've checked both the TV's IP and my Chromebook's and both show that they have valid IP addresses per the little list the pop-up gives when I try to connect. 

I've not a clue what to do anymore to get this to work.

Tags (2)