Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hadit
Reel Rookie

IP Address issues

Jump to solution

Hey so my issue is that both my mobile device and my Roku are connected to the same network however the IP address on the Roku device is different from the IP address on my phone. Does anyone know how I can connect my mobile app to my Roku device?

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: IP Address issues

Jump to solution

Two things are required for the phone app to see and connect to a Roku device.

First, they have to be on the same network range. That means for an IP4 address, the first three segments (there are four total) must be the same. For most home networks, it's usually 192.168.0.something. The zero might be a one sometimes. And example would be 192.168.0.54. But there's a second part to the IP address, and that's the netmask. Again, most home networks will be 255.255.255.0. But if that last digit isn't a zero, then your network has been segmented for some reason. 

The second requirement is that the wireless network is not configured to hide connected devices from each other. Almost all hotel networks are like this, and most home routers have the same ability. Since each manufacturer differs in their configuration screens, I can't offer any specific ideas on where to check these settings. But if your wireless network is labeled as a guest network, it almost assuredly is hiding devices from each other.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
dgrace
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

On a network no two devices can have the same IP, without conflicts. Usually the app will scan the network that you are on and find any rokus. 

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As noted, every device will have a different IP address. If it's an IPv4 address (the only style Roku supports currently), the first 3 sets of numbers should be the same, but the last will be different (192.168.1.xxx, or 10.0.1.xxx, etc...) It's also possible your phone may mainly display it's IPv6 address, which looks different (aaaa:bbbb:cccc:dddd:eeee:ffff:gggg:hhhh), but it should also have an IPv4 address.

If your Roku and phone are on two different subnets (say 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx) then it is an issue with your router or gateway.

Hadit
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey! So yes, the last three are the only three different digits in the IP address but each address that I manually send won’t work and the scanning isn’t working it just keeps searching for a device for forever. Any more advice on what to do or try next?

Wmking

Jump to solution

I too am having that exact issue. My roku device last few numbers are different than my iphone. Did you ever figure it out? 

0 Kudos
Hadit
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nope 😕 I keep trying to let it search for my Roku but it still won’t find it either 😞 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Two things are required for the phone app to see and connect to a Roku device.

First, they have to be on the same network range. That means for an IP4 address, the first three segments (there are four total) must be the same. For most home networks, it's usually 192.168.0.something. The zero might be a one sometimes. And example would be 192.168.0.54. But there's a second part to the IP address, and that's the netmask. Again, most home networks will be 255.255.255.0. But if that last digit isn't a zero, then your network has been segmented for some reason. 

The second requirement is that the wireless network is not configured to hide connected devices from each other. Almost all hotel networks are like this, and most home routers have the same ability. Since each manufacturer differs in their configuration screens, I can't offer any specific ideas on where to check these settings. But if your wireless network is labeled as a guest network, it almost assuredly is hiding devices from each other.

Dan

Jaxx

Jump to solution

To check if it's hidden go to internet settings and see if you identify all active devices and if not select the ability to see them. That might help with finding the correct IP address.

0 Kudos
mrsknite

Jump to solution

my phone is an android and I'm trying to use the remote on it but it won't find the roku I need to use it on, it searches endlessly and never locates it; it finds the other 2 in the house almost instantly... this roku was formerly on my old wifi... could it help to connect it as a wired?  Wish there was actual support folk you could speak with like previously... we're all lost trying to lead eachother in darkness... Roku get some support the assist folk please!!

atc98092

Jump to solution

@mrsknite wrote:

my phone is an android and I'm trying to use the remote on it but it won't find the roku I need to use it on, it searches endlessly and never locates it; it finds the other 2 in the house almost instantly... this roku was formerly on my old wifi... could it help to connect it as a wired?  Wish there was actual support folk you could speak with like previously... we're all lost trying to lead eachother in darkness... Roku get some support the assist folk please!!

What matters is that your network doesn't have multiple subnets. Without knowing your network configuration, we can only make some educated guesses. 

First, go to the Roku players that you CAN see on your phone app, and look at their IP address. You can see it in the Network settings info, or on the About page. What you need to see is the first three segments of the IP address. Most likely they start with 192.168.0.something. The zero could also be a different number, but zero and one are the two most common. Now check the IP address on the Roku you CAN'T see on your phone app, and see of those first three segments are the same. If they are, then all devices should be on the same subnet. But if those first three differ in any way, there's something misconfigured with your network, which is beyond the discussion here. It's possible for the third segment to differ, but that requires rather fancy network configuration and highly unlikely to be found on a home network. 

Dan