Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRQtech
Streaming Star

How to use the Roku mobile app to control TV's mute when connected to Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X)

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X) plugged into a 2009 non-smart Samsung TV.  Using the physical Roku remote, I can control the TV's power, volume, and mute.  However, sometimes I'm on the other side of the room from that remote and I'd like to control these things with the Roku mobile app on my Android smartphone.  Through trial & error, I found I can turn the TV on by tapping the Home or OK button on the mobile app.  However, I can't turn the TV off or control it's volume or mute with the mobile app.  This is particularly frustrating when I need to unmute it or turn up the volume and the physical remote is on the other side of the room or missing.

Is there a way to unmute the TV or turn up it's volume with the mobile app?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to use the Roku mobile app to control TV's mute when connected to Roku Streaming Stick+ (381

@SRQtech 

Unfortunately, no.  The volume and power features of the app only work with RokuTVs, not Roku streaming players and sticks.

You are able to turn on your TV with the app most likely because you have 1-touch play enabled on the Roku device (a HDMI-CEC feature).  This is simulataneously waking the Roku device up and automatically powering on TV and switching to appropriate HDMI input.

The 1-touch play is located under Settings/System/Control other Devices/1-touch play

---

I think the only possible solution since using a Streaming Stick would be to purchase another Roku remote (multiple remotes can be paired to same device) and keep one on each side of room.  If your Roku had been a player, rather than a stick, then could also use an inexpensive universal streaming remote compatible with Roku streaming devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: How to use the Roku mobile app to control TV's mute when connected to Roku Streaming Stick+ (381

The official Roku Remote Control app with have different functions for each device. For my Roku TV’s I can turn the volume up or down and turn the TV off. For my Sticks I cannot. It’s that easy 

0 Kudos
SRQtech
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar 

I guess this all makes sense because my phone doesn't have an IR blaster to control the TV and the stick doesn't' have the capability of controlling the TV, either.  Rather than buying another remote, I'll probably just keep the TV remote on the opposite side of the room from the Roku remote. Between the TV remote and the mobile app, I should be able to do everything.  I didn't know you can't use a universal remote with a Roku stick.

Jw22
Reel Rookie

@SRQtech @AvsGunnar @Streamer317 

My phone also doesn’t have an IR blaster to control TV directly, but my Nvidia mobile app can control TV volume via its Shield device. I think technically it is feasible to do that.

I haven’t used TV remote for ages once I got my Nvidia Shield. It is hard to convince me that I need to go back many years and use that remote again with a 2022 Roku streaming stick!

0 Kudos