Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LLC2
Channel Surfer

Re: How to permanently turn off private listening

@RokuDanny-R 

Yes, I am using the remote that came with the TV. Have only recently started to use the app, within the year. The TV will go into Private Listening on its own and the only way to listen is through the app or wait until the TV chooses to switch to speaker mode for a time of its choosing.

The remote is my preference and use the app reluctantly. I only use the app to listen to the audio when the TV is silent in its Private Listening mode and I'd like to listen. Entering the app and turning Private Listening on/off doesn't change the Private Listening mode when I leave the app on the TV, there's just not any sound.

Tracker ID has been being provided since your first request and hope that helps to speed along the process to resolve the TV changing to Private Listening. One sent already today.

Thank you,

Ryan

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LLC2

Thanks for the post.

If the remote that came with the TV has an earphone jack, it's possible that the remote may be faulty and it's registering as you are using the private listening feature.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: 
Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV on our Products page

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DanCoco
Channel Surfer

This has occurred on my roku bar with thr audio jack on the remote and on roku sticks without the audio jack.

While a hardware failure of the physical jack may cause the remote to detect the presence of a headphone and disable tv audio, why would it route the audio through the smartphone speaker? Would it not just "mute" thinking that it is routing to headphones? 

0 Kudos
LLC2
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

My remote does not have a headphone jack, it is fairly basic. The remote M# NS-RCRUDUS-18.

As a result, Private Listening shouldn't have happened at all. The "auto-mute" is frustrating but has seemed to be less frequent the last few weeks. Along with less frequent, the duration has been shorter too.

Can Private Listening be disabled all together?

Thank you for your attention to this.

0 Kudos
LakaBux
Reel Rookie

I am really frustrated that after using the app to use a soundbar through the headphone jack, I can't turn off the private listening. If I check the audio settings on the TV(TCL) it tells me that headphones are connected. So we're stuck with the out of sync audio and using the app to control the volume etc. I've tried restarting the TV and remote, uninstalling the app, and searched everything I could think of on the roku TV and the app, as well as searching the net, which is where I found this thread. Do you have a fix for this?

0 Kudos
LakaBux
Reel Rookie

Has anyone had any luck with this? Roku seems to have no clue how to turn this off. Before I waste more time on this issue, has anyone gotten any help from TCL? Thanx!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LakaBux

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What external devices are you connecting to your Roku TV? Have you tried disconnecting those external devices from your TV to see if you are still experiencing the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos