Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ptlucas
Level 7

Hit forget device and no menu when Roku is powered on

Jump to solution

I’ve been traveling w my Roku. Plugging it in at a few different destinations. This time I lost my remote. I downloaded the remote app. Then I accidentally told the remote to forget my device. And I get no menu when I turn my Roku on

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hit forget device and no menu when Roku is powered on

Jump to solution

@ptlucas 

Thanks for the post.

You are going to need a physical remote to control your Roku device when traveling. The Roku mobile app only connects to a Roku device if they are on the same wireless network. If you are trying to connect to a new wireless network when traveling, you will need a physical remote to connect the device to the network.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

I probably misunderstand. But, the tv should have buttons to interact with the menus. Using those menus, you should be able to setup a new device? Re-enable whatever you turned off? (Buy a new remote and pair it, worst case?).

My TCL has three buttons beneath the logo & white light. Accessing the menus starts with the bolded part:

• Turn TV on: middle button, short or long press.

• Volume up: right button when Input List is not active.

• Volume down: left button when Input List is not active.

Display Input List: middle button, short press when TV is on.

• Highlight next input in the Input List: right button when Input List is active.

• Highlight previous input in the Input List: left button when Input List is active.

• Select highlighted item in the Input List: middle button, short press, or no press.

• Turn TV off: middle button, long press.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
ptlucas
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hmm yes.  I am not communicating this well. I believe the Roku menu is not coming up because I told it to Forget this device.  The tv I am trying to get it to work with is not a smart tv. I just want the Roku menu back...

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@ptlucas wrote:

Hmm yes.  I am not communicating this well. I believe the Roku menu is not coming up because I told it to Forget this device.  The tv I am trying to get it to work with is not a smart tv. I just want the Roku menu back...

Which Roku product do you have? If it's an external device (Express, Ultra), I think they have a pinhole button to factory reset. (On a Roku TV, you lose your settings when you do that.). There is another support area which seems to have more posts about those external Rokus:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/bd-p/device-settings-config

If someone here doesn't recognize your issue, maybe they would. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@ptlucas 

Thanks for the post.

You are going to need a physical remote to control your Roku device when traveling. The Roku mobile app only connects to a Roku device if they are on the same wireless network. If you are trying to connect to a new wireless network when traveling, you will need a physical remote to connect the device to the network.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos