Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WiZang
Reel Rookie

Connecting my cellphone to the TV without WiFI

Jump to solution

I don't have internet. I use my cellphone as a hotspot to connect my Roku TV to the internet. I have great reception, and everything streams great. I want to set up private listening through the mobile app, but I can't connect the phone to the TV without WiFi. Is there another way to link the app to the TV other than WiFi?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WiZang
Reel Rookie

Re: Connecting my cellphone to the TV without WiFI

Jump to solution

I used my wife's cellphone to connect to my cellphone's hotspot using WiFi. That enabled me to use the remote function on the app on her phone, and set up the private listening.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
WiZang
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I used my wife's cellphone to connect to my cellphone's hotspot using WiFi. That enabled me to use the remote function on the app on her phone, and set up the private listening.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You must have a wonderful Data plan.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.

Jump to solution

I don not have Wi-Fi...and can not figure out how to use my HOTSPOT to connect to my smart Tv even when it says connected on my cell phone. I downloaded Roku TV mobile app downloaded...PLEASE HELP

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku phone app definitely uses the net to communicate with your Roku.

A Hotspot is kind of a roundabout way.

If you want to go that route you can click on @WiZang and send him a Private message.

otherwise you must have internet to use Roku.

Good Luck

Were it me Id hack into someone elses wifi. Do you have a computer???

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
WiZang
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The mobile app doesn't help in the connection process. When connecting the TV you should go through the process as normal with the WiFi that you use being the cellphone's hotspot. You could try checking your connection with a laptop to see the strength of your internet connection. I know if I stand in one corner of the house I have really bad cell service, which doesn't allow me to connect to the TV. 

0 Kudos
NerdGuy13
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Did you ever find a good solution for this? This is exactly what I would like to do. I don't plan on using my Hotspot though. I do want to use the app to listen to TV privately.

0 Kudos
AARON7206

Jump to solution

Okay but how did you get your TV on to begin wirh thats where my problem is 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a hotspot from the library that won't Stat connected to my Roku. It says I have no I twrnwt connection and kicks me out. Does Anyone know why 

0 Kudos
NerdGuy13
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

How many bars does your hotspot show you having? I would think if you have only 1-2 then the speed may not be good enough to maintain a connection.

0 Kudos