Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luke7

Black screen after trying to use mobile app with Roku Express

I have been using a Roku Express with my Sharp tv for a long time with no issues until I tried using the Roku mobile app today. I downloaded the app, was able to connect to the streaming device from my phone, and the remote on my phone seemed to work for a couple minutes. Then my tv screen went black. The tv and streaming device both had the power lights on still, and some sound was still coming through, but my tv won't display anything now. It won't even show the input options or anything when I try pressing those buttons on the tv. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen after trying to use mobile app with Roku Express

Hey @Luke7

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

We would recommend performing the troubleshooting steps below and see if that resolves the issue you're experiencing:

1. The video cable is not connected properly or the cable is faulty
    • Check that the video cable is firmly connected to the back of your Roku player and to the HDMI or composite connector on the TV. 
  2. There is a problem with the TV
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different input on the TV to see if the problem is with the connector on the TV.
    • If you can, try connecting the Roku player to a different television to see if the problem is with your Roku player or the TV.
  3. If all else fails…​​​​​​​
    • Disconnect and reconnect all cables including the power cable. 

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos