Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: App does not find my Roku

@JLM76 Another thought to add here—if you have different models of Roku devices, you'll want to make sure your phone is connected to the same wireless network as the Roku device that you are trying to connect to. For example, Roku Express devices are only compatible with 2.4GHz wireless networks. Roku Streaming Sticks are compatible with both 2.4 & 5GHz wireless networks. If your wireless router is broadcasting two separate SSIDs (networks) for 2.4 & 5GHz, this would explain why you may not see 2.4GHz capable devices, if you were connected to a 5 GHz wireless network. 

Thanks,

Tanner

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@JLM76 Another thought to add here—if you have different models of Roku devices, you'll want to make sure your phone is connected to the same wireless network as the Roku device that you are trying to connect to. For example, Roku Express devices are only compatible with 2.4GHz wireless networks. Roku Streaming Sticks are compatible with both 2.4 & 5GHz wireless networks. If your wireless router is broadcasting two separate SSIDs (networks) for 2.4 & 5GHz, this would explain why you may not see 2.4GHz capable devices, if you were connected to a 5 GHz wireless network. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner, respectfully I have to disagree. What wireless protocol the devices are using has nothing to do with internal network interconnectivity. What would matter is if one of the bands was configured as a guest network, or if the WAP was configured to hide the internal network from wireless connected devices. As long as there's nothing blocking access, it doesn't matter at all if you're connected via 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. The SSID is only used by the radio, it has nothing to do with the network itself. The IP network is the same across all devices. My phone app will see all my devices regardless if I'm connected to either frequency, and if my Roku devices are wired or wireless. I can confirm that I could control my Premiere (2.4 GHz only) with my phone while connected to the 5 GHz radio on one of my WAPs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@atc98092 Thanks for your thoughts here. I was more referring to the scenario that you mentioned where separate SSIDs may cause communication issues within the network itself, based on configuration. I would be curious to see what would happen if the router were configured to broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same SSID, and have both the Roku devices and phone connect to the same SSID. This may resolve the issue that was described above if it avoids a potential configuration issue that would block communication. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Jay_F
Channel Surfer

For me the issue was the fact that even though my Rokus are all on the same guest network with my mobile devices, they can't see (i.e. ping) each other.  For the security of my main, private PC network, I keep all non-PCs on my guest network and, by default, devices on the guest network are NOT able to see each other.  Unfortunately, to use the Roku app as a remote control on a mobile device, the mobile device and the streaming device must be able to see (i.e. ping) each other. 

On my router, there is an option to "Allow devices on the guest network to see each other and the private network?"  The issue here is, on my router, if you enable guest devices to ping each other, they can also access the main private PC network, and I don't want guest devices to be able to do this.  I've been told that most routers don't allow guest devices to see each other.  So, until I find a router that allows guest devices to see each other but not see the main "private network", I had to give up the idea of using the mobile app as a remote, which also made me give up on the idea of using my mobile device for private listening through headphones.

If Roku is listening, please consider letting the mobile app connect to the Roku streaming devices through Bluetooth, in addition to wi-fi.  This would solve the security problem and be a great benefit to me and all the other Roku users who want their streaming devices to be on their guest network.

val1224

We're having the same problem. It didn't start until we installed a mesh network. Could that cause this problem?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@val1224 wrote:

We're having the same problem. It didn't start until we installed a mesh network. Could that cause this problem?

That pretty much identifies the issue. Your mesh network must have some sort of security function that is blocking wireless devices from seeing other devices on the network. I have no idea how it might be listed in the network settings. I have no experience with mesh networks. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Gregory_C
Reel Rookie

I found something called: Turn on Access Control

I'm using a Netgear router with a guest network for all my WiFi devices. Access Control is found under Attached Devices / Go to Access Control...

You may Refresh after selecting Turn on, to see details on all WiFi accessed devices.

All the devices worked well when this was off, but it appears that it needs to be on to communicate between devices.

0 Kudos
supersega

Roku app can't find (only) one of my Roku devices

I have recently purchased a TCL 43S425 TV. Everything is working fine except it won't connect to the Roku app (which is the main reason I bought this TV; I want to use private listening with headphones). I have looked through all of the troubleshooting guides and posts, but nothing has worked so far.

Some more information:

• There are two other Roku devices in my home, both of which automatically show up on the Roku app, so I don't think it's my phone or the app that's the problem. My TV also doesn't show up on my BIL's phone.
  • My phone and TV are definitely on the same wireless network, and the connection is good (I'm able to stream shows on my TV).
  • I have tried manually connecting my TV via its IP address (my phone's IP address is 192.168.0.XX while my TV's IP address is 192.168.0.XY; the IP addresses of the other Roku devices are also variants of 192.168.0._) but it says that there is no Roku device found at that IP address.
  • I have tried restarting my phone and TV, factory resetting my TV, and uninstalling/reinstalling the Roku app.
  • Under Control by mobile apps, Network access is set to Default (I have also tried Permissive with no change).

At this point, I'm at a loss for what would cause my TV to be unable to connect, but that wouldn't affect my other Roku devices. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Tags (1)
Heyyofan
Binge Watcher

I am connected on my home network but I setup a secure guest network on my home network
BUT
The Roku app is not finding the devices that are connected to the guest hole network

any ideas?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Heyyofan wrote:

I am connected on my home network but I setup a secure guest network on my home network
BUT
The Roku app is not finding the devices that are connected to the guest hole network
any ideas?

Guest networks almost always have a security feature enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing any other devices on the guest network and completely hiding the home network. The Roku and the phone have to be connected to the same network, and any security settings that hide wireless connected devices must be turned off. A guest network will never see something on the home network, period. 

Dan

0 Kudos