Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveid45
Level 7

App Can't Locate Device

I lost the remote for my Roku and have been using the app from my phone as the remote.  Recently, I changed the password to my wifi.  Now, the app cannot locate the device.  And, I don't know how to go into settings to update connecting to the wifi network (assuming that's what the problem is.  Anyone have any suggestions?
:shock:
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: App Can't Locate Device

You have to have the remote to connect to your router ... the Roku app (for security reasons) can't do that.

The other alternative is to make certain your router SSID/Password is the same as the old one, in which case the Roku should remember the information and login automagically.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
killaflexx
Level 7

is your cellphone connected to the wifi network? Make sure it is. once its connected you should be able to use the cellphone like the remote.
0 Kudos
daveid45
Level 7

@killaflexx
I was using the Roku remote app on my cellphone as the remote prior to changing the wifi password..  I was never able to figure out how to get to settings once the app couldn't locate the device.

@RokuShawnS
Lo and behold, the physical remote has been found.  Updated the wifi password and I'm back in business.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"killaflexx" wrote:
is your cellphone connected to the wifi network? Make sure it is. once its connected you should be able to use the cellphone like the remote.

The Roku has to be connected to the same network. That was his issue, the Roku wasn't connected and he couldn't find the remote to change the network settings. Since he has since found the remote, all is well.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
pamelasayala
Level 7

Having this same problem, I have the remote and I put new batteries in it a couple of months ago. My roku tv won't connect to my new wifi and I can't use my remote to connect it. So now my roku tv and roku remote won't connect. I factory reset the roku tv and tried to connect it with an ethernet cable to see if it gets on the new wifi, but it won't. The app won't connect, and I can't even set up the roku tv so im pretty screwed.  Smiley Surprisedops:

Anybody know how to fix this? or if I should get a new remote?
0 Kudos