Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicken
Level 7

Android Remote?

I used to be able to find and change the location setting of the ROKU using android remote, now the function doesn't work, Are we eliminating features ASAP as opposed to adding capabilities, the remotes are buggy as heck, I'm not spending further money on something so limited as this, no SMB, totally useless for anything if ISP is down that's the direction Roku is heading?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Android Remote?

Hi there! 

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please give us more information about the specific setup you are using, mode details about feature you are referring to, and where it was previously located in the app you were using? Please include the following: 

- Mobile phone make/model 
- Android OS version & build 
- Roku Mobile app version
- Roku device model number (Settings>System>About) 

You can always log into your Roku account on the web at my.roku.com and update the name or room location of your linked Roku devices. 

Please keep us posted and we'll help take a closer look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please give us more information about the specific setup you are using, mode details about feature you are referring to, and where it was previously located in the app you were using? Please include the following: 

- Mobile phone make/model 
- Android OS version & build 
- Roku Mobile app version
- Roku device model number (Settings>System>About) 

You can always log into your Roku account on the web at my.roku.com and update the name or room location of your linked Roku devices. 

Please keep us posted and we'll help take a closer look. 

Thanks,
Tanner

I've confirmed using several android phones of various vintage and have read numerous feedback on Playstore of others experiencing the same bug or should I say new feature, surely this issue is very old news and already well understood?  I mean, noticed it over a month ago while navigating though all the other snafu's on my journey to evaluate the ROKU system.  You should try it on yours and let me know how it goes, you would save me the effort and perhaps learn something about Roku in the process.
I already know about logging into my Roku account to change location, etc, that feature still works but who knows for how long as I see features being eliminated far more often than being added.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Features and functionality may vary across different devices based on OS versions, app version, etc. With more specific details, we may be able to clarify the expected behavior based on what you are seeing or help escalate an issue to our team. 

I'll take a closer look to see if I can reproduce the behavior you reported. From what I recall, that option is available in the 'Settings' menu of the mobile app. Please feel free to follow up with more details when you get a chance. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Features and functionality may vary across different devices based on OS versions, app version, etc. With more specific details, we may be able to clarify the expected behavior based on what you are seeing or help escalate an issue to our team. 

I'll take a closer look to see if I can reproduce the behavior you reported. From what I recall, that option is available in the 'Settings' menu of the mobile app. Please feel free to follow up with more details when you get a chance. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Yes, settings menu is the function or feature that worked previously but hasn't for several weeks, perhaps a month.  Please familiarize yourself, I feel like this community must be of "Lillipution decent" to be unaware of this glaringly obvious featurefunction.
This featurefunction isn't an immediate brick wall or show stopper but it is indicative of engineering mindset.  I actually intended on using my Roku but the deeper I dig the uglier it gets as I come to realize this product won't cut the mustard for my purposes..
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the feedback here. 

I understand that issues can be frustrating. However, posting constructive comments with insightful details about any issue you may be seeing will be infinitely more helpful in investigating and working toward a resolution than further negative commentary. Please take a moment to review the Roku Forum Guidelines here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665 

I will share your feedback over with our team to take a closer look. If you wouldn't mind sharing the Android device make/model that you're experiencing this issue on, that may help us investigate and reproduce the behavior more quickly, and lead to speedier resolution. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Thanks for sharing the feedback here. 

I understand that issues can be frustrating. However, posting constructive comments with insightful details about any issue you may be seeing will be infinitely more helpful in investigating and working toward a resolution than further negative commentary. Please take a moment to review the Roku Forum Guidelines here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665 

I will share your feedback over with our team to take a closer look. If you wouldn't mind sharing the Android device make/model that you're experiencing this issue on, that may help us investigate and reproduce the behavior more quickly, and lead to speedier resolution. 

Thanks,
Tanner

"RokuTannerD" wrote:

Thanks,
Tanner

Okay, so instead of taking an interest you prefer something else and I should assume you decided not to take a closer look to see if you can reproduce it.  I can accept your choice.  I'm just reporting my experience in addition to others, it's more than my specific configuration and it's not even my problem, it's Roku's problem.

At this point, you couldn't pay me to provide further information, I didn't invent this topic.nor is my product failing, no sweat for me if you want to pretend I'm out of line.
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 7

I just tried this on my Ultra. I can change the name and location using the roku app on my android phone. Maybe I am not reading carefully enough what you’re trying to do.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Thanks CParker for the report and checking for me and yes it seems you understood.  On my phone the app just asks for login and password, shows a checkmark like it's approved then repeats the login requirement.  I'm stumped but knowing it works comforts me, seems like a password mismatch but it's not phone related as far as I can determine.

Perhaps this is the root cause of my other issues causing unstable operation.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

This particular subject seems difficult for some commenters to understand.

I don't have a web link to a file set up, just a local file not do I have a utube video, isn't there a button or featurefunction available I can click to post a simple screen shot?

Maybe it depends on my OS and Browser version?  Just anticipating the canned questions, to get in front of that one.
0 Kudos