Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArtScott

black screen

Roku Express

Today turned on Roku and Tv....all looked good until i started streami g a show.

The movie was just a black screen.

Checked Amazon Prime....black

Tubi.....black

Curiosity Channel.....black.

This is only when streaminh the movie/show, all title pages are perfect.

What i have done....shut down, unplugged all cables and power cords, left off for upto 30 minutes ( started out with 10 minutes, then 20, finally 30 minutes) [also changed the HDMI cable twice]....... nothing changed.

What is the problem?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: black screen

Settings > System > About

What is the Roku model number? What is the Roku OS number?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ArtScott

Roku Express

Need you to tell me where to fin the number and OS??

20210418_155425.jpg

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

According to the image you attached, you have the original Roku Express, model number 3700 (the X is the distribution channel and isn't really important) running OS 9.4.0 and that's helpful.

I'm worried that your Express model, being nearly five years old (it was discontinued about four years ago), may be going bad. But let's not conclude that just yet. Let's see if we can get it resolved so you can get many more years out of it.

I see that you recently rebooted your device, based on your earlier description (as well as the Uptime from your image).

Try forcing a system update: Settings > System > System update

That might not do anything, but then again, it might. See if that updates anything.

I do have a question about how your device is powered. All Roku devices come with a power supply. The Roku Express (including your model) came with a wall adapter into which the USB power cord can be attached. Some users choose to connect the USB power adapter to the USB port of a TV. If you connected the USB to the TV, use the power adapter instead.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about the USB power cord, not the HDMI video cord.

Let us know if any of what I suggested may apply or make a difference.

EDIT: One other thing... sometimes, devices include "Roku Getting Started" or "Roku Tips & Tricks" apps/videos on the Main Menu. If yours has any of those, do they play?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos