Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saginaw
Level 7

What to do with these old boxes.

This is why I hate the current time we live in. Everything we buy is a waste. I have 2 older roku boxes less than 5yrs old and neither one of them will update they are basically **bleep**. I have tried giving them away but know one wants them because they won't update. I don't want to just throw them away. What do I do with them?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
remaker
Level 10

Re: What to do with these old boxes.

I put my old Rokus on Freecycle or OfferUp. Many apps still work on the old Rokus. The can be repurposed as local audio and video steamers, slideshow players, or YouTube/Netflix appliances. They have lots of life in them for specific applications.

0 Kudos
gstewart78
Level 7

Re: What to do with these old boxes.

i have a roku 1 2710x  that i use as a dlna/upnp streaming client . at which i have a dlna server running on an old computer thats running linux mint 20 64bit  . i have an windows 8.1 pc in addition to the linux mint pc.

kodi for linux has a built in dlna server so does plex. how ever im using an app called universal media server which is a cross platform free and open source. itll run in windows , linux, mac os x .

with windows youll have to  enable media streaming inorder for it to work. and enable  upnp service. you can share any audio/video files and pictures. 

the bad thing is the computer and roku have to be on the same network / routers for easy client app setup on the roku. unless you want or know how to setup port forwarding in your router . 

universal media server has built in transcoding. 

0 Kudos