Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Using an SD Card with a Roku 2

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 2 Model 4210X. That particular model does not have a MicroSD Card slot. Can a MicroSD or SD Card Reader be plugged into the USB port to serve the same purpose and increase the memory?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Using an SD Card with a Roku 2

Jump to solution

The Roku 4210X should have a MicroSD slot. It's right under the HDMI port, so you might need to unplug the HDMI cable to see it.

You can see it on the 2nd to the last product image on the Roku 2 product page: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-2

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is an addendum to my question regarding my old Roku 2. I plugged a USB Card Reader into the unit and plugged in an 8 GB SD Card for test purposes. Absolutely nothing showed up on the Systems USB media list. Should have at least picked up something. Any ideas or suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did you ever find a solution? After reading a Roku post on how every Roku 2 has a slot, I ordered a micro as card and when I went to plug it in, I saw that Roku had lied about the capability. So now I’m in the same boat as you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I see you commented about a tech question about an old Roku 2. I never got an answer and attempts to use a USB card reader with a Micro SD card proved fruitless. It was a nice unit in it's time and I actually didn't need the SD card (it was more of an intellectual curiosity). I gave the unit to some friends who never experienced a Roku but, based on their viewing habits, I doubt if it's going to get much use. I upgrade my Roku's periodically and then play "musical Roku's" with the various flat screens around the house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I have an old Roku2 and I just looked at it. No MicroSD slot.

I have an Ultra now and still dont use it though its there.

No it wont work as cache plugged into the USB port.

Whatever device you use it must be formatted into one of the

acceptable file formats  I suggest FAT32.

https://support.roku.com/article/230160368

I think MicroSD memory is overstated and can cause problems.

I'd say dont bother.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

The Roku 4210X should have a MicroSD slot. It's right under the HDMI port, so you might need to unplug the HDMI cable to see it.

You can see it on the 2nd to the last product image on the Roku 2 product page: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-2

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Yeah its there.

It wont save your life.

DooD you need to upgrade.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos