Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Upgrading to a newer Roku streaming stick

Hey all.  I need to replace my old (2016) Roku streaming stick.  So, before I purchase, will a newer stick somehow automatically recognize the channels I subscribe to?  If not, is there some process to make it do so, or will I have to re-create a display of the channels I'm currently subscribing to?  Thank you.

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Upgrading to a newer Roku streaming stick

Your channels are attached to your Roku account, not your individual Roku device. As long as you link your new device to your existing Roku account your channel apps will automatically download to it. Any channels requiring a subscription do track which individual devices are authorized to receive them, so you'll have to re-establish your credentials with each of them.

When linking your new device be absolutely sure the link site you go to in your browser is https://roku.com/link (which may redirect you to https://my.roku.com/link). Because many browsers these days combine the address and search inputs into a single field you may find it taking you to a search result page instead of directly to the correct Roku site. Scammers have figured out how to manipulate search results to trick people into selecting their bogus sites instead of the legitimate Roku site.

If you enter the link code and it is rejected the real Roku site will just ask you to try again. The bogus sites typically will tell you to call some support number or go to another website, with the object of getting your credit card information as a minimum, and usually to get you to pay some sort of bogus fee. Roku does NOT charge for linking a device to your account, no matter how many you have.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos