Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ktarbor
Level 7

Re: Upgrade offer

@RokuDanny-R 

Danny, sorry for being dense, but how do I send a PM on this site? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ktarbor 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information on how to send a private message, visit our Community post here: Welcome to the Community

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tosha_G
Level 7

@JoyceCates 

Plz let me know if that worked.  I’m having the same issue with my 5 yr old RCA roku/dvd combo. The roku stick is to old and I can’t get half of the streaming channels.  I was thinking of buying another roku stick but I haven’t taken the little piece off the back of my tv.  But from what I understand another stick wouldn’t  fit correctly anyway due to it not being an HDMI port but a mhl. I could buy an adapter which may or may not be easier but idk. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@Tosha_G wrote:

@JoyceCates 

Plz let me know if that worked.  I’m having the same issue with my 5 yr old RCA roku/dvd combo. The roku stick is to old and I can’t get half of the streaming channels.  I was thinking of buying another roku stick but I haven’t taken the little piece off the back of my tv.  But from what I understand another stick wouldn’t  fit correctly anyway due to it not being an HDMI port but a mhl. I could buy an adapter which may or may not be easier but idk. 

I don't believe there is an MHL adapter, so you can't replace a 3400 Stick with a newer model. Your only option is if the TV has HDMI ports to add a new device, and live with multiple remotes. There just aren't any options for MHL devices. If your TV only has analog inputs (red/white/yellow RCA jacks) there is no current Roku device that supports it. The older Express+ (model 3910) was the last Roku device with analog outputs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JoyceCates
Level 9

Hi Tosha, Just as long as the back of your TV has an open HDMI slot (port) you are okay.

Don't worry about removing the Roku stick inside the TV. Just leave it alone. 

Sounds like your TV is around the same age as mine. Mine is a RCA HDTV with 1080 dpi. I researched which Fire Stick was compatible. I bought the The Amazon 2nd generation Fire Stick plugged it into the HDMI port, followed the instructions and everything is working great. You will have to pay for an Amazon Video subscription. I think it's around 9.00/month. Only problem is the remote does not work with volume or to turn the TV on and off. And what's worse is RCA does not even make a compatible remote for my TV any longer. I can see a new TV in the future! 

If you decide to stay with Roku, and now having used the Fire Stick vs Roku I see glitches in the Fire Stick but nothing near what we experienced with the outdated versions. Pretty sure the Roku Express would be compatible with your TV. And you can use the same remote for everything. 

I hope this helps. Roku is a good service. What I'm upset about is why they partnered with RCA (or other manufacturers) that will no longer work with their platform in five years. I guess the answer is not to buy a Roku TV. It's easier to purchase the software than a brand new TV every five years.

0 Kudos