Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

TCL-TV & Roku 4800X lack of volume issue

Jump to solution

Hello - first posting but been a Roku buff since Roku first started.

I am "one of those people" who gets the latest-n-greatest Roku once or twice a year.

We have a five-year-old TCL-TV.   When i hook my new Roku 4800X to it, somewhere along the way the audio volume is dropping way off.   at 100% i can barely hear it.

When just using the TCL-TV the volume seems to be normal, perhaps a little quiet, but certainly loud enough.  i should think that 100% would either blow out the speakers or make the neighbors complain.

Switching HDMI cables does not appear to help.

Both remotes control the TV volume & muting.

And the problem seems to be getting worse!

I am trying to resist getting a new television just because of the volume.  And my new soundbar does not seem to help either.

Both the TCL-TV and the 4800X have an internal "menu volume" setting, both are on HIGH.

is there anything else i might want to try?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: TCL-TV & Roku 4800X lack of volume issue

Jump to solution

Your new soundbar doesnt have any HDMI ports, not even one for ARC?

If so, that does really limit things.

You would have to get an HDMI splitter/extractor in that case.

(Advice:  always buy new CE forward looking assuming you will upgrade, not backward looking - e.g. in the case of a soundbar it should have at least one HDMI/ARC port and one Optical port, even if your current TV doesnt support ARC)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is the TCL TV a Roku TV?

Have you tried connecting your 4800 directly to the soundbar?

What is Settings/Audio/HDMI set to?  Have you tried changing it to PCM-Stereo and listening for a volume difference?

0 Kudos
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

>>> Is the TCL TV a Roku TV?

yes Roku-TV.  sorry i just assumed that all TCL TVs had internal Roku.  probaby not?

>>> Have you tried connecting your 4800 directly to the soundbar?

not yet.  i thought about it but hoped it would not come to that, since that would involve some sort of HDMI splitter and an HDMI conversion to RCA or the optical-digital red-light cable.

>>>What is Settings/Audio/HDMI set to?  Have you tried changing it to PCM-Stereo and listening for a volume difference?

i just tried your suggestion - darn, no difference.  for fun, i tried ALL of those settings, nothing seemed to work.  on the Roku-TCL-TV there is a good noticeably loud click, while on the 4800X you can barely hear the click.

too bad i missed Amazon-prime-day to replace the TV.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

TCL makes Roku and Android TVs.

Whats the model # and firmware version for yout TCL (and the firmware for the 4800)?

Have you restarted the TCL recently? Settings/System/Power/System restart

Definitely test the 4800 directly to the soundbar to narrow down the scope.

0 Kudos
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

>>>  TCL makes Roku and Android TVs.

you learn something new EVERY DAY, i tell you.

>>> Whats the model # and firmware version for yout TCL (and the firmware for the 4800)?

Roku-TV: 5106X
TCL Model: 32S3700
Version: 10.0.0 build 4209-08

4800X - Roku Ultra
Version: 10.0.0 - build 4209-C2

(tried firmware updates on both, and both are current)

>>> Have you restarted the TCL recently? Settings/System/Power/System restart

just the ultra-high-tech method i don't feel comfortable sharing on a public forum (i pulled out the plug and counted to 10) but just for you, i did a system-reset on BOTH.

>>> Definitely test the 4800 directly to the soundbar to narrow down the scope.

awww i was afraid you were going to say that.  i was so excited to see the digital-audio option on the new soundbar.   but assuming i decide to try this and keep the TV, do you like HDMI->RCA or HDMI->digital-audio-cable?  those are my only two choices.  should i be surprised that the new soundbar does not have an HDMI cable?  😁

0 Kudos
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

>>> Whats the model # and firmware version for yout TCL (and the firmware for the 4800)?

Roku-TV: 5106X
TCL Model: 32S3700
Version: 10.0.0 build 4209-08

4800X - Roku Ultra
Version: 10.0.0 - build 4209-C2

>>> Have you restarted the TCL recently? Settings/System/Power/System restart

just tried that, also unplugging.  😀

>>> Definitely test the 4800 directly to the soundbar to narrow down the scope.

hmm i had hoped to avoid that route.  using the digital-audio light cable seems so simple.  getting an hdml splitter and an hdmi->RCA or hdmi->digital_audio seemed sort of messy by comparison.

EDIT:  i tried resetting the TCL-TV to factory settings.  maybe unless i hear a better idea, i will stop using the 4800X - Roku Ultra.   

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your new soundbar doesnt have any HDMI ports, not even one for ARC?

If so, that does really limit things.

You would have to get an HDMI splitter/extractor in that case.

(Advice:  always buy new CE forward looking assuming you will upgrade, not backward looking - e.g. in the case of a soundbar it should have at least one HDMI/ARC port and one Optical port, even if your current TV doesnt support ARC)

edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Marks new sound barMarks new sound barBESTISAN TV Sound Bar

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1P13C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically selected this one because of the size and because it had BlueTooth. 

and I did not even know that a soundbar had HDMI (again, i learn something new every day, or even every hour)

well, I was hoping for an "easy solution" but that appears not to be the case!

0 Kudos
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

i should also point out that i have a pair of JBL "pebble" that i have used for several years as the TV speakers, hooked up with just an AUX plug.  it worked fine until i got the new Roku 4800X box, and then the volume seemed to disappear.

0 Kudos
edwardsmarkf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

ok, OK, OK! curiousity got the better of me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017B6WFP8?psc=1&smid=A36PN40E750046&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Tendak 4K x 2K HDMI to HDMI and Optical TOSLINK SPDIF + 3.5mm Stereo Audio Extractor Converter HDMI Audio Splitter Adapter(HDMI Input, HDMI + Digital/Analog Audio Output)

EDIT:  unfortunately going this route means the DVD player (yes i am old school) wont play thought the soundbar, unless i run a separate line for the tv, so one for the 4800X and another for the TV itself.

0 Kudos