Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Suggested Replacement For Roku 2 XD

I currently have a Roku 2 XD which I purchased in 2012. 

Of the current available models which one would be a good replacement?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Suggested Replacement For Roku 2 XD

What input connections are available on the tv you intend to use the Roku with?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@makaiguy wrote:

HDMI of course.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@jackcf wrote:

@makaiguy wrote:

HDMI of course.

Well, not "of course", really.  The Roku 2 XD had both HDMI and composite outputs so you could be connecting to an old tv that only had composite inputs via a special cable.  That's why I asked.

All current models have HDMI ports.

The Express and Express+ support resolutions up to 1080p.  All other models support up to 2160p (4K) but can be used with non-4K sets.

Express supports infrared (IR) direct line of sight remote only.   All other non-stick models, including Express + come with and use wifi direct connect remotes that don't require line of sight, but support IR remotes as well.  Stick models are typically used behind tv's where IR can't reach and support only wifi direct remotes.

Express and Premier models have only single band wifi capability, so they can connect to 2.4 GHz wifi only.  All other models have dual band wifi and can use both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi bands. 

If you want to connect via Ethernet rather than wifi, the Ultra is your only choice.

For a more detailed rundown (which ones support HDR, Dolby Digital, etc.), I've found this chart on Wikipedia to be useful:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison.  Current 8th Generation models are at the bottom of the chart. 

Although I'm only using it on an HD, not 4K tv, I've been very pleased with my latest acquisition, the Streaming Stick +.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)