Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conhache
Level 7

Setup Loop

I'm having issues with setting up my Roku 2. I continuously get stuck in a loop of turning it on --> connecting to wifi --> updating --> restaring --> connecting to wifi (etc).

I have tried:

• Restarting my Roku device
  • Restarting my router
  • Restarting both roku and router
  • Trying a different wifi connection
  • Taking out batteries in my remote
  • Changing the input for the RCA cable
  • Buying an HDMI cable and trying it with that
  • Switching the input for the HDMI cable
  • Restarting the roku again with the HDMI cable
  • Reconnecting the remote

None of them have worked, and I'm out of ideas. I have read most of the posts about this same issue on here, and the only two "solutions" I saw were either to restart the router and roku or to connect with an HDMI cable, which obviously didn't work.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Stannman
Level 7

Re: Setup Loop

I have the same problem with my Roku 2. I came home one day and Roku had pushed out and update and Roku 2 has been stuck in an Update Loop ever since. I tried everything except purchasing a Roku AV cable (3.5mm to RCA left right audio and video out) but I can't see putting good money after bad. A cable costs $5 on eBay $10 from Roku. I can buy a used Roku 2 on Craigslist for $10 but who's to say it won't do the same thing eventually?

Here's what I've done besides the things the previous post tried.

Put an micro SD card in, wouldn't boot at all. Started an updated then pulled the HDMI cable and waited for restart, still stuck. Memorized the update sequence pulled the HDMI cable and pressed OK (with the proper pauses) and waited for restart to finish, still stuck. and so on and so on.

The update loop seems to affect all Roku's randomly (including Roku TV's), so I can't see purchasing a new Roku until this is fixed, if ever. While it would be expensive to replace all the "bricked" Roku's, at least they'd still have future customers (I'd keep buying them) but no longer. I have all but replaced all my Roku's with Fire TV products. I hate the videos ads/previews but at least they all work INCLUDING my Fire TV gen1 (it's slow as **bleep** but it updates correctly every time.

I'll check back in the future but probably only once more.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Stannman @conhache 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 2 is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
CopStalkingMe
Level 8

Danny:

I've encountered a similar boot loop problem when attempting a factory reset on my Roku TV and on 2 smartphones made by other companies.

I think these hackers have utilized a BIOS or Firmware level method to rewrite code with something very simple, like a GO TO LINE ____ command.

I would suggest deploying a BIOS or Firmware flash or overwrite utility, downloadable to USB stick, provided a Roku TV can boot directly to USB.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos