Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku2- need to reset before discarding?

I have an old Roku (says roku2 on back). Is there anything stored on the device that I need to wipe out before getting rid of it? Would hate to discard and have someone else plug it in and be me!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Roku2- need to reset before discarding?

Do a factory reset to it clears everything. Also, go to your account online and remove it so it's no longer tied to you. Look near the bottom of the page.

https://my.roku.com/account

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku2- need to reset before discarding?

Yes, follow what @andyross said. You do have personal information stored on the device, mostly login information for any channels that need it. And of course anyone that fires it up can see your Roku account email address in the Settings/About menu. 

And you are correct that someone could simply plug it in and use it as it they were you. Depending on the channel, they might even be able to make media purchases. Of course, they wouldn't be able to get to those purchases on any other device unless they hack your account info from the Roku. Is that possible? I don't know, but most likely it's possible. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos