Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdnagy
Reel Rookie

Roku stopped working with my TV

Out of the blue my Roku streaming stick stopped working on my TV.  The home page would show but I could not change apps/channels or if it did it was very delayed.  I thought it was a remote issue at first.  I switched the Roku with the one on a different TV.  The remote worked fine on the 2nd tv.  I then switched the streaming sticks on the 2 TVs.  Neither stick worked on the original TV even though you could see the Roku home page come up and both worked fine on the 2nd TV. If it was an issue with the HDMI port on the Original TV then why was home page showing where I could see my apps?  I know I will probably have to replace the TV but why would it just stop working like that?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stopped working with my TV

I'm a little unclear on the devices involved. What are the model numbers of the devices? Settings > System > About

Model number and OS version are what are most important.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
cdnagy
Reel Rookie

both devices are the 3810x Roku streaming stick, sw version 9.4 build 4210-50.  The were purchased a few years apart.

I even tried using the remote app on my phone to control the Roku but it will work for one or 2 'clicks' then just stop working.  I could see if its an issue with the HDMI port on the TV but why will it show the Roku and allow some curser movement and its both Ports on the TV.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@cdnagy wrote:

both devices are the 3810x Roku streaming stick, sw version 9.4 build 4210-50.  The were purchased a few years apart.

I even tried using the remote app on my phone to control the Roku but it will work for one or 2 'clicks' then just stop working.  I could see if its an issue with the HDMI port on the TV but why will it show the Roku and allow some curser movement and its both Ports on the TV.  

That smacks of other network issues. Some of the network gurus around here will likely want to weigh in on this and offer better suggestions. I know a little, but I'm sorta at my limit. Better help will come shortly.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

cdnagy
Reel Rookie

Just adding more information.  The 2 TV that I reference are both plasma Panasonic non smart TVs that are over 10 years old.  So they are very similar so the fact the devices work on one TV and not the other is very strange.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

A location-based issue could be network. So, since we're talking nearly identical TVs and identical Sticks, swap the Sticks. Nothing but the Sticks. Unplug the power from the Sticks, remove Sticks from the HDMI ports, then swap the Sticks, connecting to HDMI then to power. The remotes will stay with the Sticks; that is, Stick 1 and Remote 1 stay together, both moving to TV2.

Does the issue stay with the TV location? Does it follow the Stick to the other TV?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
cdnagy
Reel Rookie

it just started working again.  I am not sure what the issue is/was but for now its fixed.  I am thinking I will need a new TV soon through. 

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos