Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anemi777
Level 7

Roku XD still supported?

Jump to solution

Hello! is the Roku xd still supported? If not, which devices that are affordable I can upgrade too? I am trying to install Netflix on my current device. On my smartphone it says "Netflix" is installed, but it is not appearing on the home page. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku XD still supported?

Jump to solution

The Roku XD (2050) is no longer supported. It will not work with the latest versions of many channels, Netflix included. The XD was released in Sept 2010, so extremely old in electronic years. The current lowest cost Roku is the Express, which is currently on sale on the Roku web site for $24.99 until tomorrow. Regular price is $29.99. 

Since you have such an old player, is your TV equipped with HDMI inputs? If you need analog audio/video, Roku no longer sells players with them, although there are some older models still around on Amazon or Ebay. I don't believe any other online streaming players support analog out any longer, either. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11\
atc98092

Jump to solution

The Roku XD (2050) is no longer supported. It will not work with the latest versions of many channels, Netflix included. The XD was released in Sept 2010, so extremely old in electronic years. The current lowest cost Roku is the Express, which is currently on sale on the Roku web site for $24.99 until tomorrow. Regular price is $29.99. 

Since you have such an old player, is your TV equipped with HDMI inputs? If you need analog audio/video, Roku no longer sells players with them, although there are some older models still around on Amazon or Ebay. I don't believe any other online streaming players support analog out any longer, either. 

Dan

BigFordCountry
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku 2 still works (supported for how much longer?) I use it on my CRT tv in the basement which only has RCA inputs. The tv still has a decent picture and it plays my old vcr tapes and laserdisc just fine. I wish ROKU would go for the 20 year rule, but alas even vehicle makers are dumping that. A new rv only has a few year warranty, most cars and trucks only have a few years updates on their computer systems and now even most motorcycles too. (sorry off topic) I have an XDS unit that the radio channels still work but all the video channels are lost. I had bought this AFTER I bought the Roku 2 when we still had several CRT tvs. Roku should offer a trade in system, buy the newer model, they give you a discount after you mail back the old unit. I think that would be cool. FYI I did plug in my old XDS recently to see it offer me a $15 purchase of the newer cheap roku, so I guess that is a plus. With my new flat screen we got the top of the line Roku box it loads fast can support so many channels and never glitches or brain farts. It even has voice control. I wish Roku would offer an internet browser channel too.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@BigFordCountry There are five different versions of a Roku 2. Only two of them remain supported at this time, the 2720 and 4210. The 2720 is almost 8 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if support for it is dropped soon. The 4210 is only a bit over 6 years old, so probably has some life left in it. 

The Roku XDS (2100) is 11 years old. If you bought it after your Roku 2, it was already out of date. 

Dan

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@BigFordCountry-- Support by Roku is one thing, support by the individual channel providers is another.   Even if a somewhat older Roku model is still receiving Roku system updates, there is no guarantee that all channel apps will run on it.

The channel apps are created, maintained, and provided to Roku by the channel providers.  Roku just supplies the platform on which they run.  Many of the channel apps, as newer ones are created, or older ones are updated, take advantage of hardware and system advances in newer Roku models.  Maintaining support for older models without these advances significantly complicates the coding of the app as well as severely complicating the testing that must be done for each release, so many channels limit the Roku models they support to more recent models.

If the channels you want all run on your old Roku 2 there's no reason not to keep using it.  But you may find that some of the newer, and recently updated, channels may not be available for it.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
AngelMessenger
Level 7

Jump to solution

@anemi777 wrote:

Hello! is the Roku xd still supported? If not, which devices that are affordable I can upgrade too? I am trying to install Netflix on my current device. On my smartphone it says "Netflix" is installed, but it is not appearing on the home page. 

@anemi777 wrote:

I found a Roku 2 3050 at a thrift store. The marked price was $7 and it was marked half off. I did a quick Google search and found that it was infact still supported. For $3.50 I figured I'd take the chance that I had received bad information. I brought it home, and LITERALLY just yesterday got to setting it up. I was worried about the device having aged out of use, but the updates installed and it loaded 179 channels with no problem. 

I have seen redundancy where people are claiming the ROKU 2 is no longer usable, but don't believe what they say. My $3.50 3050 has been working like a charm. The only issue I encountered was that until the update was installed, the 3050 didn't want to connect to a modern wifi with a good gigahertz per second score. I had to use an older, slower device to download the upgrade, but after the system was fully upgraded the Roku 3050 is now able to connect to a modern gigahertz per second device and stream with the best of them.

If you're having issues getting your Roku 2 to connect it's probably due to a speed issue. I think it's worth a try to try connecting it to an older wifi network. Mine would NOT connect to any of my modern wifi broadcast devices, even my 2g signal, until AFTER the update. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@AngelMessenger No, the 3050 is no longer supported by Roku. That doesn't mean it won't work. It means that it no longer receives Roku OS updates, and many channel providers will not allow their channel to be installed on it. 

The 3050 is not a Roku 2. It is a Roku 2 XD, first released in July 2011, so more than 10 years ago. It's almost identical to my ancient Roku 2 XS (3100), except for mine has a Bluetooth remote. And I can tell you it's next to worthless for most use. 

Amazon Prime has announced it will no longer support their channel on old Roku devices in a matter of months. Whatever functionality you might have now could be gone the next day. Developers will not write their channels to work on those old devices, because they want to offer features that the older players can't support, mostly due to processing power, but also memory. 

Your 3050 has 256 MB of operational memory.  Every new player has at minimum 512 MB, with some players having as much as 2 GB. The processors are at least 6 times more powerful. There's simply no comparison between the early players and what is available today. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AngelMessenger
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092

Dan, I spent a whopping 350 pennies for it. I literally picked it up for $3.50. If it doesn't work 6 months from now, then who really cares? This is a ROKU, it's not a Maserati. Farther more, it is a Roku I spent a whole of THREE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS on. It's installed 179 heritage channels on it, and it's actually working quite well, thank you very much. I'm happy with my thrift store purchase, and who knows exactly how long it'll continue to work? I don't claim I do, but for three dollars and fifty cents, I think it's working quite well, thank you. 

0 Kudos
AngelMessenger
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

And, Dan, does it SHOCK 😲 YOU that AMAZON, who produces the FIRESTICK would put some space between it and the ROKU, one if it's lead competitive devices? Because this move doesn't phase me at all, as it's nothing but a great strategic move from the Amazon FIRE STICK marketing department. Just because Amazon is pulling it's channel endorsement doesn't mean Crackle, or Popcornflix, or anyone else will.

I'll put it to you this way, the recently formed PEACOCK 🦚 TV channel is on it, and works quite well. I really feel that you're kind of over exaggerating the gravity of the situation. I wouldn't recommend spending $30-50 bucks for a new one from Walmart (who still sells them) or Amazon who is still selling them, but there's no need to fling them into the ocean 🌊 to appease the gods of technological development.

0 Kudos
AngelMessenger
Level 7

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Oh, and Dan... about the processor and storage issues you've pointed out...

I'm not really that into streaming boxes that are LITERALLY produced with limited capacities to BEGIN with. This is a ROKU Stream TV box, not a Nvidia Shield. Truth be told it's not even an Android TV box. It's just a stream tv device, so I don't really care if my $3 and a half dollar SPCA thrift store purchase has a powerful processor, or Bluetooth, or storage, because it still does exactly what it's designed to do just fine. If I want anything else out of my tv I have two FIRESTICK devices, two mini android box computers, a Chromecast device, a phone, and two Windows computers with HDMI output and mirror cast. 

Its okay, buddy. Just calm down a little on dogging out the fully functioning device. No one has ever claimed it was TOP OF THE LINE, I just said the software update is still supported from Roku so if you reset your box it's not unusable. That's all!

0 Kudos