Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boonya2
Level 7

Roku Streaming stick with Infra Red remote not working

I have a Roku streaming stick with remote (Model #3500R). I have tried to pair the remote with the Roku several times. I read all the suggestions on the Roku website. I even read and tried this link: https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360004813993. On top of that I have tried looking at Youtube videos and forums online as well, no luck. The Roku stick powers up and I know the remote works because I used my mobile phone's selfie mode to verify it was working.

I have reset the unit by unplugging and plugging back in. I have changed the batteries on the remote.

What do you suggest?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming stick with Infra Red remote not working

Roku sticks cannot be controlled with IR-only remotes.  Sticks are designed to be installed hidden behind the tv where a line-of-sight infrared remote can't reach them, so the sticks have no infrared sensor.  They use, instead, wifi-direct remotes exclusively.

The 3500 was issued in 2014.  It uses its own point anywhere wifi-direct remote, but was the only model to use that particular remote.  Unfortunately, later models use a different wifi-direct scheme and the remote for the 3500 hasn't been available for some time.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.
0 Kudos