Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku HD 2500X - Constant restart on select channels

Roku HD 2500X Restarts on certain channels like Paramount will play a couple min (literal 1-2-3 min) at a time and kicks back to home menu.
FXnow literally will not play. Either restarts immediately once selected or it acts as though it's loading and will show the fx start up screen then restarts (this one doesn't kick to home just restarts). Discovery IDgo will let you watch a show but as soon as it's over it kicks you to the home screen.
I have done both soft as factory restart, we have removed every non-essential channel and there's roughly 18-20 total channels.
We've checked updates and even forced update through hidden menu and just about everything else that I can think of or that I'm able to find in the interwebs ;p and honestly, unless someone here has any suggestions my next step is to revert this lovely little streaming device back into the small bits of plastic which it was formed from.
Thanks in advance for any and all tricks, tips, ideas or suggestions.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Constant restart on select channels

Unfortunately, your Roku device is quite old, and might no longer be supported. I don't have the legacy device list available to me right now, but the HD 2500 is a second generation device, and I'm pretty sure that entire generation is no longer supported. It was released in April 2012, and is severely limited in processing power and memory. Sorry to say, but it's probably time for an upgrade. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have the same problems with my RCA Roku TV model 3400X. The Roku stick is inside the TV. I'm trying to find out if I can take the stick out of the TV and upgrade it with a newer stick.

We are dealing with old versions that many networks don't support any longer. I wasn't able to get Netflix one day after watching programs for years. When I called Netflix, I was told that my model is not supported by their updated platform. When I told them Netflix is going to lose a lot of customers, all of a sudden Roku updated to a 9.1.0 version and Netflix worked.

Just be happy you have a set top box. You can purchase a new box. If I can't upgrade the stick inside my TV, it's worthless. I'll have to buy a new TV.

Suggestion to everyone, don't buy a TV with a preinstalled Roku stick. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@JoyceCates wrote:

I have the same problems with my RCA Roku TV model 3400X. The Roku stick is inside the TV. I'm trying to find out if I can take the stick out of the TV and upgrade it with a newer stick.

The 3400 Stick only worked in an MHL slot, which is not a standard HDMI port. If your TV operates without the 3400 installed (I have no idea if a Stick is required to make the TV work), then you could install a new Stick or other Roku in another HDMI port. But no, you can't installed a newer Stick in the MHL port. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

Thank you. That's what I thought. Even if I was able to somehow take the Roku stick out of the inside of the TV, I doubt a newer model Roku stick would work. There are open HDMI slots but the TV diagnostics are likely set to work with the 3400X. I know nothing about technology but am computer savvy. Looks like a new TV is forthcoming. I'll never buy a Roku TV ever again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

If the TV still works, but just poor performance, yes you could connect a regular Roku player or Stick to one of the "normal" HDMI ports and enjoy the modern device's performance. But it the TV is working oddly, you're probably stuck replacing the whole thing. I have a Sharp Roku TV that I am perfectly satisfied with. But my small Insignia Roku TV was kind of lacking in power, so I replaced it with a normal TV and put a Roku Premiere on it instead. 

Dan
0 Kudos