Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecs0set
Channel Surfer

Roku Express+ 3910R - Availability

Does anyone have a source for a Roku Express+ (3910R)?  I have a car with built in monitors and need a RCA non-HD input.  It seems this was the last Roku to support that but I can't find them anywhere in the UK.

Does anyone know if they were sold here, I would have expected at least one on ebay / gumtree?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express+ 3910R - Availability

@ecs0set wrote:

Does anyone have a source for a Roku Express+ (3910R)?  I have a car with built in monitors and need a RCA non-HD input.  It seems this was the last Roku to support that but I can't find them anywhere in the UK.

Does anyone know if they were sold here, I would have expected at least one on ebay / gumtree?

Your best bet would probably be Amazon or eBay.

The scenario you laid out in your post brings some questions. I have to ask if you've really thought this through. Have you ever used a Roku?

It, like all streaming devices, requires an Internet connection. You're talking about in a car. Just to be sure that US English and UK English aren't talking about two different things, you are referring to an automobile. Ford Fiesta, Volkswagen Golf, Nissan Qashqai/Rogue Sport, etc?

If so, you're looking to provide streaming entertainment to your passengers, right?

If so, you realize you would need to establish your in-vehicle Internet network, engage power to the Roku device, allowing it to boot up, then have a user find the streaming content using the line-of-sight IR remote, or using the phone app connected to the same automobile network. 

As long as you have a good, stable network connection, and the network can reliably reach the Internet, you would probably be okay.

But ...

Were it me (and I fully realize it's not me), I would use a phone or tablet with an adapter and stream that way. Or, I'd have content downloaded already to a phone or tablet, and simply play content, saving my Internet plan data. Of course, if it was live content -- sports, etc -- then streaming from a service such as Sling TV (or whatever UK alternatives there are) would be necessary. Again, just what I'd do.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

ecs0set
Channel Surfer

None on Amazon or eBay, hence checking if they were sold in UK.

It will be a cast target for content from mobile phones.  We have a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car (not quite a Fiesta!)

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roku-Express-6th-Generation-HD-Media-Streamer-3910RW-VUDU-Edition-Black/1...

(This is not a recommendation, just one of several seeming contenders that came up when I searched.)

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@ecs0set wrote:

None on Amazon or eBay, hence checking if they were sold in UK.

It will be a cast target for content from mobile phones.  We have a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car.

Everything Roku sells is on their Website. They dropped the composite models years ago everywhere.

Again, I would use a Lightning (or USB if Android) connector/adapter and play that way, rather than try to cast. You'd have fewer things to go wrong, and it would be cheaper overall.

Another option would be an HDMI to Composite converter box, but that's even more expense. 

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ecs0set
Channel Surfer

That looks like it, needs to be in the UK though.

0 Kudos
ecs0set
Channel Surfer

HDMI to composite is troublesome when it comes to HDCP.  Plus the cheap devices do not convert resolution.

Not sure what you mean by USB adapter for Android, I have HDMI output but that doesn't really help for the reasons described above.  Such solutions are also not wireless.

I don't see why the Roku with composite output wouldn't work, just need to find one in the UK.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@ecs0set wrote:

Not sure what you mean by USB adapter for Android, I have HDMI output but that doesn't really help for the reasons described above.  Such solutions are also not wireless.

The context was a Lightning to Composite connector directly to TV if Apple, or USB to Composite connector for Android. Apple uses one they trademark as Lightning, and Android devices use USB.

No, they aren't wireless. Of the Composite connecting devices that will stream, mirror, or accept casting, none are currently Roku. None are Apple TV. None are Fire TV. None are Chromecast. 

Now, as to why you would need a wireless connection rather than a cabled one, inside a vehicle, well, you know your driving habits better than I do.

If you find an older Roku that will work in the UK, it would be a used item from a third party. Hence, Amazon or eBay suggestion, but any third party seller Website would be worth researching if you insisted on going that route. You won't be able to buy a discontinued item from Roku.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
ecs0set
Channel Surfer

"Of the Composite connecting devices that will stream, mirror, or accept casting, none are currently Roku"

Are you saying that you cannot cast from an Android phone to a Roku device which supports composite, such as the 3910R? Sources I've seen suggest that you can, e.g. https://streamersworld.com/cast-android-roku/

PS. I appreciate you are trying to help - FYI I am also an I.T. professional and you can be assured that I have considered my requirements carefully!  I am only trying to establish whether the 3910R WAS (I know it is not currently) sold in the UK so that I can determine if they MAY come up on eBay at some point in the future.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@ecs0set wrote:

"Of the Composite connecting devices that will stream, mirror, or accept casting, none are currently Roku"

Are you saying that you cannot cast from an Android phone to a Roku device which supports composite, such as the 3910R? Sources I've seen suggest that you can, e.g. https://streamersworld.com/cast-android-roku/

No, I'm simply saying there are no current devices made by any of the major players that do what you want. You can find an old, unsupported, use at your own risk, Roku device. That's all.

DBDukes

0 Kudos