Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku 4 issues, not responding

I purchased a Roku 4 maybe four years ago.  It worked fine, but when I moved my gear around, it sat unused for about a year and a half.  

I plugged it in this evening to the HDMI port on a TV, and nothing showed on the screen.  What I've done since then is to replace the batteries with new ones, clean the battery contacts on the remote (there was some "stuff" there), an read and try all the things I could find online about getting it going.  I moved it to a different TV, same problem.  Suddenly I did get a screen to come up, something about a network connection.

Nothing I could do on my remote made a difference.  I found the tip about pressing four keys in a certain order, but that didn't make a difference.  I pressed the reset button on the remote and held it - the green light started to flash, but the remote and the device never paired.

When I picked up the device to look on the bottom for a reset button, my screen turned off.  I'm leaving it off - the device feels "warm", but I've read where that is normal

The questions I have are

#1 is there a way to reset the device even though it isn't talking to the remote?

#2 - is there a better way to pair the device?

I can post the serial number if that is any help.  Maybe it's just old, and I should give up on it and move on.

(It doesn't help any that over the past year, my internet SSID has changed, so if it's searching for my network connection, it's never going to find one.)

I should add that when I didn't know what it was for, or did, I pressed on the button with the "+" sign on the box, and it "chirped" - now I know that's to find the remote.  But when it was still working, before it died again, I pressed that button and nothing happened.

I'm sure I could do a RESET if I could get it working, but since it's not working there is no way I can find to do a RESET.  If there was a way to plug something into it, maybe that would help, but there isn't.

If I get it going again, I'll take a photo of the screen it is stuck at, and post that here.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 7

Re: Roku 4 issues, not responding

Update - it suddenly started working.  I was able to set up the proper Wi-Fi, and found some of my old settings.  So, with one major exception, it is working....

BUT

If I pick it up, or move it, or do anything to it, it shuts off.  It's as if there is a loose connection inside the box.  I very carefully put it somewhere to see if it continues to work, for one half-hour 1958 tv show.  I suspect it will, but it it gets touched, or jarred, it's likely to quit on me.  

I'm lost - without returning it, or replacing it, I'm stuck.  Maybe someone here will have a better idea?

0 Kudos
Level 15

Double-check the power connector is tight and not corroded, and that the cord is not damaged. I also have a 4 but haven't had issues other than the SD card getting corrupted and preventing it from booting up. If you have an SD card in it (it's below the Ethernet connector), you can try removing and replacing it.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I have never put an SD card in it, and the power adapter looks fine.  Everything "looks" fine.  It acts like a bad connection inside of the device, which sometimes works, or not.  I guess I should call Roku later today, or just dispose of it.  No need to keep getting frustrated.  

Something went bad from just sitting around not being used for over a year.....

0 Kudos
Level 15

It's long out of warranty, and Roku has no phone support. From the description, it's most likely an issue with the power connector internally. Maybe it had a bad solder joint that is loose. Unless you are handy taking things apart, it's probably best to dump it and replace it with a newer one. Only the Ultra has hard-wired Ethernet if you need that. Just be sure to unlink it from your account before getting rid of it. Go to the bottom of your Roku account page.

https://my.roku.com/account

0 Kudos