Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku 3 box - Stuck on loading page (dancing Roku logo)

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help.

I have an old Roku 3 box (model: 4200X) that was working fine until last night.

Having turned the box and TV on this morning, the box won't get past the loading screen with the dancing Roku logo and elevator music. I've tried a factory reset by pressing the button down on the back with a pin, but it seems to reset as there's a flashing light, but then it loads up with the same issue.

Nothing has been done to the box, I've not changed anything recently like installed new software etc. It's not fell or had damage - Does anyone know if this box is fixable? It's a good little machine so keen to get it working again.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 box - Stuck on loading page (dancing Roku logo)

I once had that happen and it turned out to be a hardware failure. Fortunately, it was in the warranty period.

Some people notice that ejecting the SD card may allow the boot to complete.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Also if you have nothing to lose, open the unit, full out the board, and use a heatgun or oven and solder flux to reflow the board.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Roku+3+Motherboard+Replacement/72110

if you don’t know what a reflow is, this solution may not be for you.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Yeah ejecting the SD card seems to have helped mine.  I had just installed the SD card last week or the week before, so when the Roku locked up on the loading screen that was one of the first things I tried.

Once I verified it would boot without the SD card, I tried plugging in the SD card after it was already powered on.  It tried to mount the card and failed.  I then reformatted the card on my Windows PC just to clear out whatever garbage was confusing the Roku, and then the Roku booted with the card, but had to reformat it again.

Bad data on the SD card should be a recoverable error, Roku engineers.

0 Kudos