Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbynum
Level 7

Roku 3; asked to add memory card; remote control stopped working

I received an on-screen "suggestion" to add memory to my Roku 3.  I ordered and received a 4G microSD.  I powered down and installed it.  Opening screen says memory card detected, format or (preselected) quit.  The remote doesn't allow me to select format ... or do anything.  I powered up without the card, and the remote still worked well.  I powered down, removed and reinstalled the card, reconnected ... same thing.  Why did my remote not work with the card installed?

I've not connected the card to my PC to verify health.

What's the next step?

3 Replies
markfm
Level 7

Re: Roku 3; asked to add memory card; remote control stopped working

Exactly the same just happened to me.  I even went and bought a pair of 8gb cards to try, thinking maybe the 32gb I tried at first did something weird.

No go.  Roku probably broke the Roku 3 firmware (planned obsolescence - update it so things no longer work) 

0 Kudos
markfm
Level 7

Found it, from last year👍

Try this:

While it's plugged in, pop out the sd card.

Then unplug it from power.

After a few seconds plug it back in.

After it's fully running push the sd card back in (a flat head screwdriver or wide tip tweezers).

Final step - use the roku app on a phone, tell it to restart.

Good luck - I just did the above, it worked.

0 Kudos
Brog
Level 8

My Roku 3 has no memory card slot. It has a USB port, an HDMI port, an internet port and a power port. Yesterday the unit refused to open the PBS app and the SLING app then said an SD memory card would make the app load. It suggested that I check my internet connection and the check failed. If the device did not have an internet connection none of the streaming apps would work and the device would not confirm the connection in settings. The background image of the home page changed when these apps failed. More curious is the YouTube TV app now loads when last week it failed.  Roku is feuding with Google and stopped offering the app while stating that legacy users could continue. They lied.  They fixed the YouTube TV app but broke others. I was reading the "there is no support" thread and the consensus is that there is no support. Looking at the support pages and found that the Roku 3 is no longer listed in the devices. When you check other you get referred to the forum. This is my last Roku product.  It worked well enough  when it was new but they do not support their products focussing on something else than their customers. Shame on roku!

0 Kudos