Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eichcj
Level 8

Roku 3 4200X Micro SD Never Has Worked

Jump to solution

I have had multiple Micro SD cards but have never been successful in getting the player to recognize the memory card.  It is becoming an increasing pain because of the need to store channels/apps otherwise you have to reactivate each one if you have to do a system restart which happens more than 4 times/year.  Any tips on SD brand / max size / pre-formatting required or not, would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AChanceFind
Level 9

Re: Roku 3 4200X Micro SD Never Has Worked

Jump to solution

I have the same model and mine worked since I got it 6 years ago but this week I did have a card fail and still not sure if it was the last update that played a role or just the age of the card.

I was using a "transcend" 16gb class 10 card and it worked right out of the package.

Now I am using a "PNY" also 16gb class 4 I got for around $5 on Amzon. This one also just worked out of the package, I just inserted it got the reformat prompt and it is working.

I also ordered a spare 2gb card directly from roku.com also for $5  free shipping. I probably would recommend that as I have read Roku can't store beyond 2gb anyway on any card.

Make sure the card clicks into the slot all the way in (contacts facing up), it has a spring that as you push in you should feel a click in place then to remove it you just press in again and the spring lets it eject.

If it still doesn't work you may have a bad unit where the sd card contacts are not working. One user here reported inserting/ejecting repeatedly eventually got it to work so it seems it's a matter of luck for some people.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have the same model and mine worked since I got it 6 years ago but this week I did have a card fail and still not sure if it was the last update that played a role or just the age of the card.

I was using a "transcend" 16gb class 10 card and it worked right out of the package.

Now I am using a "PNY" also 16gb class 4 I got for around $5 on Amzon. This one also just worked out of the package, I just inserted it got the reformat prompt and it is working.

I also ordered a spare 2gb card directly from roku.com also for $5  free shipping. I probably would recommend that as I have read Roku can't store beyond 2gb anyway on any card.

Make sure the card clicks into the slot all the way in (contacts facing up), it has a spring that as you push in you should feel a click in place then to remove it you just press in again and the spring lets it eject.

If it still doesn't work you may have a bad unit where the sd card contacts are not working. One user here reported inserting/ejecting repeatedly eventually got it to work so it seems it's a matter of luck for some people.

View solution in original post

eichcj
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help.  Though I can't be sure that I have tried that specific card 'PNY' I have tried multiple ones.  I will take a look an see if I can find that specific card.  If not I will order one directly from Roku and post the results here.  

0 Kudos
eichcj
Level 8

Jump to solution

I did go back and try a couple of the cards I had tried before and they didn't work same as before.  I ordered a micro SD card from Roku and voila! It is weird that I had issues with Transend, SanDisk, Maxxtor and one other brand I can't recall...but never tried a Pny.  Guess it was just bad luck with the other brands.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
GeneR
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mine detects the SD card but the remote becomes inoperable. The screen shows the option to format or cancel but doesn't respond to the remote. Model is 4250X

0 Kudos
AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

You may have a unit that has some sort of physical issue or corruption. I would try resetting the remote first (go through the relink process), maybe smacking it around a bit (seriously, smacking it is a true tried method you can google it), if that doesn't work try a full hard reset but that is a lot of work and you will lose settings in some apps so it would take a while to get everything back. Maybe try a different remote? If a hard reset doesn't fix it then it's likely physical issue that can't be fixed.

I have a 4200X so about the same age as the 4250 and I'm already prepped for the day it will stop working if I don't replace it earlier with a Ultra LT 2019 model I got on sale from Walmart.

0 Kudos
wbkelso1
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a similar issue. with the Roku 3.

Installed a 32gb Pioneer micro SD card, the screen asked if I would like to format the card. I was unable to respond using the front IR sensor on the ROKU 3 with a Universal Remote Control IR blaster. The Roku remote control did allow me to select the "format" option and I was able to successfully format the card. Am wondering if it operates on RF instead of IR.

With the card installed (formatted or unformatted), I was never able to navigate the Roku screen from the IR receiver. As soon as I removed the card. The IR receiver worked again with the Universal Remote Control IR blaster.

0 Kudos