Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tinkertron
Level 7

Roku 2 XS and Hulu

I received an email that shows up in my spam folder, showing to be from Roku. But the email address seems abit fishy roku@emailsn.roku.com... In the email it states the following

"Dear loyal Roku customer,

We are reaching out to let you know that your classic Roku player will be unable to support the Hulu channel after its next channel software update on June 24, 2020.

However, as a reminder, you may qualify for an exclusive offer to upgrade at a discounted price, so you can keep enjoying your Hulu subscription. If you haven’t upgraded already, we invite you to do so here.

Thank you for being a longtime Roku streamer.

Happy Streaming™
Roku"

#1 - Is it spam?

#2 - If so, how did they know I have an outdated Roku?

#3 - Is it true that I will have to purchase a new Roku to get Hulu, once they update their software app?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku 2 XS and Hulu

1) No, it's not spam.  Any email address ending in roku.com is legit.  Other stuff may be tacked on at the beginning, as long as there is a period directly before the roku.com.   So @go.roku.com would be legit, @goroku.com or @go-roku.com would not be legit.

2) Your Roku unit(s) are linked to your account at https://my.roku.com so they know what unit(s) you have.

3) Yes, apparently Hulu has decided that their next update will require the processing power and features of more recent models than those sold a few years ago.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Valbeast
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 XS and Hulu

I got this email as well and am interested in upgrading.  However the $15 upgrade option wasn't available.  It was $25.  How do I get the $15 upgrade option

0 Kudos