Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrh
Binge Watcher

Roku 2 XD not connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

I have a Toshiba HD TV and have been using a Roku 2 4210x2 (presumably the XD model?) for some time with no problem. The other day it stopped connecting to my wifi. It says it's connected and the signal strength is excellent, but when I attempt to connect to a channel, it says it has no connection to the internet. I have reset the connection and restarted the device several times.

The current software is 9.3.0, Build 4170, last updated 6/5/20, and I know it has worked since then. It last checked for an update on 7/10/20, which may be about the time it stopped working. I realize this is an old model and I'm fine with replacing it, but if the problem is, as some on this site suspect, a mismatch between its software and my router, will buying a new device solve my problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku 2 XD not connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

@rrh 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 2 XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

@rrh wrote:

I have a Toshiba HD TV and have been using a Roku 2 4210x2 (presumably the XD model?) for some time with no problem. The other day it stopped connecting to my wifi. It says it's connected and the signal strength is excellent, but when I attempt to connect to a channel, it says it has no connection to the internet. I have reset the connection and restarted the device several times. The current software is 9.3.0, Build 4170, last updated 6/5/20, and I know it has worked since then. It last checked for an update on 7/10/20, which may be about the time it stopped working. I realize this is an old model and I'm fine with replacing it, but if the problem is, as some on this site suspect, a mismatch between its software and my router, will buying a new device solve my problem?

The Roku 2 XD is model 3050, and no longer supported by Roku. If you have the 4210, it is the much newer Roku 2 and still supported (although 5 years old). I acknowledge that some users have had network issues, but it's not across the board. Both my almost new Ultra 4670 and an older Insignia Roku TV are both using WiFi without an issue. Both connect to an Ubiquiti UniFi Access Point (the Ultra on 5 GHz, the Insignia on 2.4) on my Gigabit network. A lousy CenturyLink Actiontec DSL modem provides DHCP services to my network. 

So, would you have any issues with a new Roku? Probably not. The Express seems to be the player that has the most issues. I've never had a problem with my Premiere, either of the Ultras, the TVs or the Stick.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@rrh 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 2 XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mattyhat23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku 2 also will not connect to the internet through wireless. I plugged it in with an Ethernet cable to test the connection which worked. When I try wireless it connects to the WiFi but not the internet. I’ve restarted it many times and tried troubleshooting with no success.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mattyhat23 wrote:

My Roku 2 also will not connect to the internet through wireless. I plugged it in with an Ethernet cable to test the connection which worked. When I try wireless it connects to the WiFi but not the internet. I’ve restarted it many times and tried troubleshooting with no success.

Which model Roku 2 do you have? There are 5 different models of Roku 2, and only two are still supported by Roku. 

Dan

0 Kudos
mattyhat23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku 2 XS. Model 3100X

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mattyhat23 wrote:

Roku 2 XS. Model 3100X

The model 3100 is no longer supported my Roku. I have two, and they're just paperweights. They lack the power to run the latest channels. It does have the advantage of an Ethernet jack and analog outputs. If a network reset won't resolve the WiFi connection issues, the player has probably suffered a hardware failure of the WiFi radio.

Dan

0 Kudos
mrdougan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU 2 XD which failed to boot up last night. It seem to just loop through its update process with the cute little dancing "ROKU" then off then restart dancing! I think it's trying to tell me to upgrade, but it has worked well for many years (8). Do you think it's worth saving? Be honest, I can take it!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mrdougan wrote:

I have a ROKU 2 XD which failed to boot up last night. It seem to just loop through its update process with the cute little dancing "ROKU" then off then restart dancing! I think it's trying to tell me to upgrade, but it has worked well for many years (8). Do you think it's worth saving? Be honest, I can take it!

In a word: no. It's extremely old, unsupported, and many of the latest channels (Disney+, CBS All Access) won't even install on it. Channels that do still work, such as YouTube is almost painful to use the device is so slow. 

If a wired network connection is a must for you, wait a little bit for the new Ultra that was just announced this morning. If you're OK with wireless, either the Streaming Stick+ or Premiere are solid recommendations, although I'd prefer the Stick+ since it supports 5 GHz WiFi. I don't recommend the Express, as it seems to have constant WiFi issues. 

Dan

Singhharry

Jump to solution

Yas

0 Kudos