Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NKmissin3
Level 7

Roku 2 - Useless?

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered! I purchased a Roku 2 for my mother, apparently it has been seven years ago now. She is scared of technology and did not use it. I unboxed it for the first time the other day in an attempt to set it up. I connected it to the wi-fi and began the software update process. It would end, and ask for another update. This process went on for hours. I have seen where Roku updates every 24 to 36 hours. Does this unit require seven years worth of updates, or is this unit a paperweight?

Thanks again for your help and time in this matter!

NKmissin3

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 - Useless?

I don't know if an old unit like that has to go through a bunch of incremental updates or will just go straight to its latest. 

But there have been many reports of other units, even brand new ones, going through the same thing on initial setup and never completing. 

A solution that has been reported to work is:

Setting up initially on a different network such as a wifi hotspot on a mobile phone, or at a neighbor's.  If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

This has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Taylorkim
Level 7

Roku 2 Still Great, a little slow, Prime no longer allowed

I have this model and a change as of Nov 1. 2021 is that Roku and Amazon Prime channel no longer allow viewing of all of the free and fee movies if you have a Prime membership. This restriction is on Roku 2 and not newer Roku models.  Perhaps unscrupulous method of forcing Prime members to buy new Rokus in order to get their free videos benefit.

0 Kudos
Smburkho
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 Still Great, a little slow, Prime no longer allowed

I have a Roku 2 XS on a TV and it suddenly stopped connecting to the internet.  First, it stopped allowing Disney + to load then this happened for the Sirrius channels.  Is there a way to upgrade with the SIM card or is this machine, shot?  HELP.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Smburkho 

lf it's not connecting to the Internet, it won't do anything. It's a streaming device. It's gotta have Internet.

Are you actually saying the Disney+ app and the SiriusXM app stopped working? If that's the case, the device is probably fine, but the app developers stopped supporting it. The Roku 2XS is a very old device. Great in its day, but its day is long passed.

There is no SIM card in a Roku device. The Roku 2XS did support a microSD card, but that's for on-board app storage only. Got nothing to do with anything else. Works just fine without it.

I would recommend replacing the device, not because there's anything wrong with it -- it likely hasn't gone bad -- but because app developers are stopping support of it. Some apps will continue to work, but some won't.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Taylorkim 

It depends on which model Roku 2. There were two different devices named Roku 2, plus several earlier ones that included Roku 2 in the name (see the post above about Roku 2XS). But for a device called Roku 2, there were two different ones.

The model 2720 is outdated and really should be replaced. That one has begun losing support from app developers.

The model 4210 is actually a Roku 3 on the inside (the difference is the "2" on the plastic case, and the IR remote in the box, but otherwise, it's a Roku 3), and is still supported by Roku and by app developers.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Bert_Mercer
Level 7

Highly unethical that an older product is purposely hobbled in this way, where my Prime service I pay for is now useless on my older model. I own several Rokus, but I won't be buying another one without some kind of offer to replace my Roku 2 XD that was almost exclusively used for Prime video. unbelievable!

atc98092

@Bert_Mercer wrote:

Highly unethical that an older product is purposely hobbled in this way, where my Prime service I pay for is now useless on my older model. I own several Rokus, but I won't be buying another one without some kind of offer to replace my Roku 2 XD that was almost exclusively used for Prime video. unbelievable!

Don't blame Roku for that. Amazon is the one that crippled Prime Video on the older devices. But come on. The 2 XD is over 10 years old. It is seriously lacking in both processing power and memory. That's likely why Amazon has cut it off. It simply can't run the channel any longer. The same applies to Disney+ and HBO Max. They will not work on your player. It's time for an update, big time.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
captgrail
Level 7

Just because they MAY have released it 10 years ago which I think is inaccurate, that doesn't mean they didn't continue selling it for years afterwards.  The kicker right now is they are offering us early adopters that helped them grow as a company a "special deal" for a device they released in 2018 - trying to purge antiquated product? and get this, same thing can be found for less on Amazon. You have to research what generation your buying too cause they don't tell you.   This is not how to treat customers Roku, neither by pushing down faulty untested firmware!  I've seen the numerous complaints all over the net and how much you have inconvenienced people. Major FUBAR.  Don't look now but Amazon is selling a Firestick 2021 with voice remote for 19.95 and it seems to be eating your lunch and rightly so!

0 Kudos
atc98092

The Roku 2 XD, model 3050, was released in Jul 2011, so more than 10 years ago. And no, they did not continue to sell it for "years". About 2 years at most. In 2013 many new models were released, and anything sold by Roku after that were newer models. That's not to say that 3rd party resellers didn't continue to sell them for a bit. 

Amazon Fire TV devices have some of the same functionality of Roku devices, and have some differences. I personally don't like the user interface as much as a Roku, as everything is Amazon-centric. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos