Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_Mark
Channel Surfer

Roku 2 (Model 4210): White specks in viewing field

My smart TV looks great when I stream from the internet using it, but when I use my Roku 2 to stream a channel unavailable via my TV, white specks appear throughout the picture. Is there a fix for this, or is the unit beyond repair?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
remaker
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 2 (Model 4210): White specks in viewing field

Try a different HDMI port, or a different TV. The specks may be coming from the video processing circuitry inside the TV.

0 Kudos
saultydog
Channel Surfer

You probably have your router hard wired to the computer, I would try another Ethernet port, next would be an antenna amplifier, check all connections are tight and clean, white specs are usually a sign of a weak signal, Snow flakes, Noise. The best Routers and Modems are either 802.11 ac or 802.11 ax series 5 and 6 with the best being both Modem and Routers matching ax and series 6. I am running both ac and series 5 with dual band, and they are flawless. another plus is a tri band. if you have a cheaper router, you may also have too many devices on your network.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

The network streams are completely error-corrected, so no network problem will cause "white specks" on the screen. Your screen will freeze or go blank if there are network errors.

Your answer may be confusing the white speck issue with quantization noise (pixelation), like one sees in DVB-T (digital TV) when the reception is bad or on some kinds of live streams. This is generally not an issue with streaming video on the Roku, but in any case will not be confined to "white specks."

0 Kudos
Steve_Mark
Channel Surfer

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Steve_Mark
Channel Surfer

Thanks

0 Kudos
saultydog
Channel Surfer

White specs or snow or noise we use to call it, can be caused by weak signal through your wifi, if you have a good picture when it's connected by wired connection, and it has the specs when the signal is through the network, the only thing has to be the network.

0 Kudos
05reinvent
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 4K w/ Samsung TV

I see white random pixelation on all streaming channels. I am not clear about the cause. Is it the TV? WIFI signal 500 mbs strong. Pls explain how to fix 

0 Kudos
saultydog
Channel Surfer

The problem may be in the TV settings, if you have a 4K tv and you have a way in your settings to lower it to 1080i or even 720, you might try that, you have to understand that a computer monitor is most likely a lower quality of video, if you have a smaller screen to try, I would try that since its on all channels. you may have settings in the Roku that you can also lower the picture quality too. OTA signals arent in 4K or 1080P, you might try another ethernet cable, if you are getting clean clear signals on your computer hard wired to your router the specks are not there, then it has to be a difference in the quality of the signal or the difference in the size of the screens, computer vs TV sizes, a pin head speck on the 21" computer monitor would be a BB size on a 55" TV is something else you might be overlooking.

0 Kudos