Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 2 HD and 2008 RCA TV

I have an older Roku 2 HD which will no longer be receiving updates. Until it absolutely dies though I would like to keep using it with a 2008 vintage RCA TV.  I've tried plugging the Roku into the HDMI port on the TV but get no output.  I also tried using the composite video and audio plug into this TV and still get no output. I also tried hard-resetting the Roku. Still no luck.  My Google Chromecast, my Raspberry Pi and a newer Roku Express+ all work fine with the HDMI port on this TV, but not the Roku 2.  I've tried the Roku on a different TV via HDMI and it works fine.  Only the combination of the Roku and this TV is a problem.  The TV is an RCA L22HD32D.  It claims to support 1080i, 480i, 480p and 720p over its HDMI port.  Does anyone have an idea how to get the Roku to play nice with this TV?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku 2 HD and 2008 RCA TV

@GWBrooksby wrote:

I have an older Roku 2 HD which will no longer be receiving updates. Until it absolutely dies though I would like to keep using it with a 2008 vintage RCA TV.  I've tried plugging the Roku into the HDMI port on the TV but get no output.  I also tried using the composite video and audio plug into this TV and still get no output. I also tried hard-resetting the Roku. Still no luck.  My Google Chromecast, my Raspberry Pi and a newer Roku Express+ all work fine with the HDMI port on this TV, but not the Roku 2.  I've tried the Roku on a different TV via HDMI and it works fine.  Only the combination of the Roku and this TV is a problem.  The TV is an RCA L22HD32D.  It claims to support 1080i, 480i, 480p and 720p over its HDMI port.  Does anyone have an idea how to get the Roku to play nice with this TV?

I looked up your TV, and see it supports the following resolutions: 1080i, 480i, 480p, 720p. the screen itself has a strange resolution of 1680 x 1050. Of those, your Roku doesn't support 1080i. I have seen some early HDMI sets that misreport their supported resolution over HDMI, so the Roku selects an unsupported output (such as 1080p) and nothing is visible.

However, as you noted both the TV and the Roku support analog, so the composite input should work with SD resolution. Excuse the basic question, but you did select the correct input on the TV when you tried the composite signal, right? 

Of course, the 2 XD is getting very old, as it was released July 2011. It's possible that it has finally decided to hang it up. It's strange that at least the composite out isn't working. You might take it to the TV that it worked on and manually set it to 720p, then bring it back and see if it works on HDMI.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos