Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LostSheep
Level 7

Roku 2: Does it need an HDMI Cable?

I am about to buy a 2015-2016 era Roku 2 device, but the seller is not going to provide an HDMI cable.  Is one necessary with a Smart TV (Samsung of about the same vintage)?

Is that a good price or would I be better off buying a newer device?

This weekend I turned in my cable TV box and expect to stream broadcast TV and the occasional show from premium providers when I figure out how.

I have to decide today, so forgive me if I did not find the answer already posted here.

Thanks for reading.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
LostSheep
Level 7

Re: Roku 2: Does it need an HDMI Cable?

Oops.  Forgot the price.  $20 for the Roku 2.  

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2: Does it need an HDMI Cable?

Doesn't matter if it's a "smart tv" - you'll be connecting the Roku as an external device.

Yes, it will need an HDMI cable to connect it to an HDMI port on your tv.

Roku has had a number of different models under the Roku 2 name, some of them with letter designations (Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, etc.) issued from 2011 to 2015. They are outmoded and painfully slow by today's standards, and many of the more recently developed channel apps won't run on them.

Personally, I'd walk away from that deal and buy a current model.  The current Roku Express is currently available on Amazon for $24.  https://www.amazon.com/Express-Streaming-Media-Player-v%C3%ADdeo/dp/B07WVFCVJN/ref=sr_1_2

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos