Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary_arm

Roku 1 SD card

Jump to solution

Can I use an SD card with my Roku 1 ? 

I bought a 32GB SDHC card and while it slides in and locks in the SD slot, nothing happens.  I assumed maybe the SDHC was not compatible with the older units, so I ordered a non-SDHC today - just a plain SD 32GB card and waiting to receive.  I now wonder if I am throwing good money after bad.  Does anyone know if the Roku 1 works with SD cards, if so what kind?  It has the slot beneath the HDMI slot, so I would think it takes something. ????  Surely it's not a fake slot 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary_arm

Re: Roku 1 SD card

Jump to solution

I ordered another 32GB plain vanilla card.  I'll try that.  I found a post from Roku support to someone 4/20 that said the Roku 3 supported up to 32GB.  That person was having issues recognizing a Scandisk brand - which is the HC I bought.  New plain vanilla I ordered is an off brand and not HC.  So I'll give it another try.  Thanks for the input.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@gary_arm wrote:

Can I use an SD card with my Roku 1 ? 

I bought a 32GB SDHC card and while it slides in and locks in the SD slot, nothing happens.  I assumed maybe the SDHC was not compatible with the older units, so I ordered a non-SDHC today - just a plain SD 32GB card and waiting to receive.  I now wonder if I am throwing good money after bad.  Does anyone know if the Roku 1 works with SD cards, if so what kind?  It has the slot beneath the HDMI slot, so I would think it takes something. ????  Surely it's not a fake slot 🙂

The Roku 1 (model 2710) did not support a microSD card.

By the way, even if your device supported a microSD card, anything larger than a 2 GB card is a waste. Roku only supports 2 GB of expanded storage. You can put a larger card in, but only 2 GB will work. Some of the older devices have trouble with the high capacity cards. Not saying it will cause the Roku to malfunction, just that it may not even recognize it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
gary_arm

Jump to solution

Thanks DB.

That is what is happening...it just doesn't recognize the card.  I haven't seen any cards smaller than 32GB and they're just 10 bucks, so I tried it.  Wonder why they'd haver an SD slot if they don't work in Roku 1...

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@gary_arm wrote:

Thanks DB.

That is what is happening...it just doesn't recognize the card.  I haven't seen any cards smaller than 32GB and they're just 10 bucks, so I tried it.  Wonder why they'd haver an SD slot if they don't work in Roku 1...

Dunno. I had a Roku 1 once upon a time. I don't recall there being a microSD card slot on it. Are you certain it's a Roku 1? Is it model 2710? Settings > System > About

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
gary_arm

Jump to solution

Sorry for making an erroneous post.  Your reply made me look at the settings and I have a Roku 3 4230X.  I was looking at a ROKU box, which I thought was the box this Roku came in. Just another senior moment.  

So the same issue applies though.  Nothing happens and Settings says no SD card installed.  I even formatted the card on my PC thinking maybe it could format that size card after your reply.  So same issue, different model.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@gary_arm wrote:

Sorry for making an erroneous post.  Your reply made me look at the settings and I have a Roku 3 4230X.  I was looking at a ROKU box, which I thought was the box this Roku came in. Just another senior moment.  

So the same issue applies though.  Nothing happens and Settings says no SD card installed.  I even formatted the card on my PC thinking maybe it could format that size card after your reply.  So same issue, different model.

The Roku 3 does support a microSD card. However, it seems it won't read your high capacity card. If you do want to use a card, get the smallest you can find, and not high-capacity if you can find a simple one.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
gary_arm

Jump to solution

I ordered another 32GB plain vanilla card.  I'll try that.  I found a post from Roku support to someone 4/20 that said the Roku 3 supported up to 32GB.  That person was having issues recognizing a Scandisk brand - which is the HC I bought.  New plain vanilla I ordered is an off brand and not HC.  So I'll give it another try.  Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos