Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
denisecook
Level 7

ROKU HD opens apps but won't play content

Hi, I've had my (ROKU HD) for at least a year with no problems. It wasn't used for about a month and suddenly it's acting weird. (I have another one that's used daily and it's fine)

All of the apps will load but once they're open, none of the content will play. For instance, FrightPix, the covers are extremely slow to appear and if I click on a movie, the screen just goes black and sits there. I've left it alone to see if it returns but it does not.  Even the Roku Channel, covers slow to load, movies won't play, they get stuck on 'Loading...' then fades to black (probably the screen going to sleep.)  Some apps actually won't load at all, like Hulu and Netflix, they try to load but get stuck.

I did a factory reset, first time it failed activation, tried again and it worked. Took forever but it rest. Still same behavior. Restarted several times, still nothing works.

It's activated and appears in my list of devices. Also has all scheduled updates.

(Edited because duhhhhh, I looked behind the television to unplug it and discovered it was a ROKU HD, lmao. The issues still apply though!)
Any thoughts are appreciated!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
denisecook
Level 7

Re: Express opens apps but won't play content

UPDATE: This morning, it loaded Sling, keeps saying that it lost the network connection. But when i go check the connections, it says Connected.  Sling loaded the guide but when I click on a show, it freezes again.  I thought it was working when the Guide popped up but apparently not.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: ROKU HD opens apps but won't play content

There's more than one version they called the HD, and the first version is ten years old. Even the last one (model 2500) is 6 years old. It's certainly possible that something has failed internally. It's also possible that some of the channels you are using will stop working after Jan 1, when Roku discontinues support of channels written in the old developmental software. If your HD is anything like my old 2 XS, it's time for an update. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I agree..

Jast get a new Roku.. under $50 for a pretty significant upgrade from what you currently have.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
I agree..

Jast get a new Roku.. under $50 for a pretty significant upgrade from what you currently have.

That's exactly what Roku wants, just buy another one so they can make more money. The constant updates to the firmware and channels are designed to make it increasingly difficult for older units to function. And it's not because the older units can't play the videos anymore it's because the apps are so bloated with unnecessary features that it slows down the old hardware. Just think if you had a VCR back in the day or DVD player that started getting slow and wouldn't play tapes or discs properly anymore because of updates. People would be pissed and never accept that, yet for streaming players this behavior is just accepted as the norm. I still have 2 Roku HD 2500X models and when playing videos they are fine but thanks to the updates it's takes all day for anything to load.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Emissary35" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
I agree..

That's exactly what Roku wants, just buy another one so they can make more money. The constant updates to the firmware and channels are designed to make it increasingly difficult for older units to function. And it's not because the older units can't play the videos anymore it's because the apps are so bloated with unnecessary features that it slows down the old hardware. Just think if you had a VCR back in the day or DVD player that started getting slow and wouldn't play tapes or discs properly anymore because of updates. People would be pissed and never accept that, yet for streaming players this behavior is just accepted as the norm. I still have 2 Roku HD 2500X models and when playing videos they are fine but thanks to the updates it's takes all day for anything to load.

Are we really complaining about having to replace a $50 video player every 8 years?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos