Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Question about Netflix / Legacy Roku Hardware

I'm helping out my mother, who has a Roku 2 XS (3100X).  It works great, and she's perfectly happy with it.  Her primary use involves Netflix, and playing video from an attached USB drive.

I'm trying to find out what it means that Netflix is "discontinuing support" on December 1st.  Does this mean the installed Netflix app will no longer receive updates, but will continue to work as-is?  Or does it mean that the application will be rendered useless?

I'm reluctant to replace the hardware, because in addition to using the Netflix app, she uses the Roku 2 XS USB port for playing videos from a USB drive, and only the most expensive, highest-end models support USB drives these days.  Yes, she can play USB videos directly from the TV, but doing so increases the chances of compatibility issues (no sound, unplayable, etc.).

I'd prefer that she not have to spend $99+ in order to maintain the same level of functionality with which she's happy today.

Suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Question about Netflix / Legacy Roku Hardware

Netflix will no longer be supported and the app will be disabled and/or deleted. This is due to not supporting newer DRM that Netflix needs.

https://www.techspot.com/news/82728-netflix-reveals-why-dropping-support-older-devices.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Okay Andy.  What can we do to restore our use of Netflix on Roku? Do we simply pay to upgrade to a newer version of Roku hardware? Keep it simple....please.  Thx, Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

Unfortunately, the only way to get Netflix back will be to replace the Roku with a newer one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you so much for this. I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to check if its possible but couldnt get it done. Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys
with
regards

0 Kudos