Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liisab

Older TV No extra HDMI port, No USB available

I have been using an older Roku and it is connected to my TV with the older yellow, red and white cables. I don't have an available HDMI port, they are both being used, and no USB. I would like to connect a Roku Express to this set up. Can someone tell me what adaptor/adaptors I can get to make this work? Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Older TV No extra HDMI port, No USB available

As you noted, no Roku offers analog outputs any longer. You can find some HDMI to analog adapters online, but users have had good and bad experiences with one. The biggest issue is likely because the Roku thinks it's connected to a 16:9 display, but many analog TVs are the older 4:3 aspect ratio. If the adapter doesn't handle this correctly, you get inaccurate video images. Here's one example of such a converter on Amazon, but there are many, many others. 

Don't forget that using an adapter like this you do NOT get HD video. Even if your TV supports 720p or higher (some early HDTVs didn't not have HDMI ports but still supported 720p and 1080i, and Roku does not support 1080i) the analog connection is no higher than standard definition. You're losing a lot of image quality using analog connections. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If I had a TV new enough to have HDMI ports, I wouldn't use composite video at all.  I would just get an HDMI switch.

(Or a fancy HDMI switch also known as an AV receiver.  Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos
makaiguy

If there isn't an available open HDMI port, you can "piggy back" two devices on the same port using an HDMI switch (not an HDMI splitter).  Then use the switch to select which device you want to view.

Hook up diagramHook up diagram

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

I believe they said there is no HDMI port on the TV, unless I read the post wrong. 

Dan

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@atc98092 wrote:

I believe they said there is no HDMI port on the TV, unless I read the post wrong. 

He said both HDMI ports are in use.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

I was going by his second post: "If I had a TV new enough to have HDMI ports,..."

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

That was me, not the OP.  I was speaking hypothetically as in: if you have HDMI available, you should use them because they are so much better than composite video.  Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos