Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcw6116
Level 7

Old Roku XD, need upgrade

Hello, I have an old Roku XD box that I can hardly use. No channel store. Factory reset because it wouldn’t connect to my wireless or link my account and I lost everything. It’s pretty much useless. I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with an affordable upgrade. Serial number On the old box is J0A141094003. Email on the account is jcw6116@hotmail.com. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
remaker
Level 10

Re: Old Roku XD, need upgrade

my.roku.com/upgrade will show personalized upgrades. But there probably aren't any deals for a unit that old.

slickdeals.com is a good place to look for Roku sales. 

Walmart and Best Buy currently have the Premiere and Express under $30.

Do you need composite output, or does HDMI work? If you need composite output, you will need a Roku Express+, or an older Roku 2 unit.

EDIT: There are several different devices called "Roku Express+"  and Roku 2.

I specifically mean the Gen5/Gen6 Roku Express+ (3710/3910) or the Gen3 Roku 2 (2720). However, the 2720 may not support all modern applications. For example, it doesn't support Netflix profiles.

0 Kudos
tlc1976
Level 7

Hi, I’m in the same predicament with an XD. I need composite output. I’ve looked up many Express + online and all of them made since about 2018 or 2019 show only a HDMI output. Only a few available for nearly $100. Are there any current models with composite output? I’m looking up HDMI to composite converters and they are marginal at best.

0 Kudos
remaker
Level 10

The Roku Wikipedia article is a good resource.  

The newest composite-out model is the Gen 6 3910 Roku Express+ from 2017. 

The Gen 5 3710 Roku Express+ from 2016 also supports composite.

The Gen 8 3931 Roku Express+ from 2019 has dropped composite support.

You will have to find new-old-stock or a used unit from eBay. Make sure it includes the composite cable!

No current 2019/2020 models support composite out.

It may be time to upgrade to an HDMI TV. It's been a long time since TVs didn't come with HDMI ports.

boogernose
Level 18

You can get convertors on Amazon for around 10 bucks so any Roku Model

is available for you. I used one years ago and they work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonlyus-Converter-Composite-Supports-Chromecast/dp/B082X97KKW/ref=pd_di_sccai...

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
tlc1976
Level 7

I read reviews on the HDMI converters and they’re all hit or miss, some distort the picture, some **bleep** out in short order, some don’t work with some devices.

I like my CRT TV. Excellent picture and fits perfectly in my entertainment center like it was made for it. I’ve got a half dozen sources wired to a surround sound system with RCA connections. Including equipment for a c band dish which I love. With a remote extender so I can take my remotes and run it all from the bedroom and watch it on my Trinitron. It would be expensive to do it right and upgrade it all to HDMI.

So I found a 3710x on Mercari for 30 some dollars. Didn’t have the AV cable but I already had one for my XD. Just got it today and it certainly runs better. I think I’m all set. Thanks for all the info.

I did kinda get the XD to run. Factory reset, stripped off all but XUMO and VEVO. So if I get another cable I can watch my eScapes and music videos.