Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Notification about Roku 2 Support Discontinuation

I received an email about the Roku 2 that I have being discontinued as of Nov 15 and no longer being able to download updates. 

There is an upgrade offer, but has the Roku Express+, but not other upgrades. The offer is about 50% off, which is nice, but the Roku Express+ is HD only and would like to get he Roku Premiere for 4K as I will be upgrading the TV in the near future. 

I tried to send to use Contact US and send to Roku support privately, but have been pushed to post in the community. 

Being a long time Roku user and owning multiple devices I think a discount should be offered to upgrade to any of the devices, not just the low end device. Am I missing seeing an upgrade offer to the Roku Premiere? 

Roku is canceling support I am not wanting to upgrade at this time. For all I know I will get a TV with Roku streaming built-in and won't need a device at all. I am being forced to upgrade and want to get a device that will work with a future tv. 

12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Notification about Roku 2 Support Discontinuation

Guess what? I have two RCA Roku #3400X TV's that I bought 5 years ago. The Roku stick is inside of the TV.  I've been trying to find out -- from Roku -- if the sticks can be removed from the TV's, I buy upgrades, connect to the HDMI ports will that work? Everyone has given me varied advise. I can't get an answer from Roku. I'd rather be going out and buying new sticks instead of new TV's. Sorry for your los

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@JoyceCates wrote:

Guess what? I have two RCA Roku #3400X TV's that I bought 5 years ago. The Roku stick is inside of the TV.  I've been trying to find out -- from Roku -- if the sticks can be removed from the TV's, I buy upgrades, connect to the HDMI ports will that work? Everyone has given me varied advise. I can't get an answer from Roku. I'd rather be going out and buying new sticks instead of new TV's. Sorry for your los

The 3400 is a Roku Stick that uses the MHL connection protocol. This may look like an HDMI port, but it doesn't work the same way and you cannot connect an HDMI device to that port. MHL was (in my opinion) a failed experiment earlier this decade, and no one seems to make compatible devices any longer. When I tried visiting the official MHL support web site, it doesn't appear to be running.

However, I would guess that your TV has at least one real HDMI port, and you should be able to connect any HDMI device, such as another Roku, a Fire TV, or other streaming device. The TV remote won't control these devices as you could with the MHL device, so you'll have multiple remotes to use. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 20

@bchirgwin wrote:

Being a long time Roku user and owning multiple devices I think a discount should be offered to upgrade to any of the devices, not just the low end device. Am I missing seeing an upgrade offer to the Roku Premiere? 

Roku is canceling support I am not wanting to upgrade at this time. For all I know I will get a TV with Roku streaming built-in and won't need a device at all. I am being forced to upgrade and want to get a device that will work with a future tv. 

I concur with the thought that their upgrade path should include more than one player. My guess (and that's all it is) is that they are thinking (wrongly) that most people still using the old players are doing so for the analog connections, and so the Premiere+ is the best upgrade path. I believe they should offer both the Premiere+ and the Ultra as upgrade options. Especially since so many of those older players have Ethernet jacks and some people want to stay wired. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Here here...

I would love to stay wired.

Highlighted
Level 9

No, No, No ---- NEVER BUY A ROKU TV with the streaming stick inside.

That's my problem. I bought one five years ago and Roku's email does not speak to people that have Roku TV's. They are not explaining what (if anything) can be done to upgrade a TV with the Roku Stick inside.

I've posted my question numerous times and sent customer support an email. None of the moderators from ROKU have answered my question.

NEVER BUY A ROKU TV WITH THE STICK INSIDE!

Sorry for all caps -- in this case, yes I am shouting. I don't want anyone else to experience what I'm going through. 

I'm questioning if I will ever buy a Roku device if my television was outdated within five years, they are still selling Roku TV's (with the stick inside that can't be upgraded --- or Roku would have told us they can). Roku is hiding the fact we bought useless TV's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@JoyceCates wrote:

No, No, No ---- NEVER BUY A ROKU TV with the streaming stick inside.

That's my problem. I bought one five years ago and Roku's email does not speak to people that have Roku TV's. They are not explaining what (if anything) can be done to upgrade a TV with the Roku Stick inside.

I've posted my question numerous times and sent customer support an email. None of the moderators from ROKU have answered my question.

NEVER BUY A ROKU TV WITH THE STICK INSIDE!

Sorry for all caps -- in this case, yes I am shouting. I don't want anyone else to experience what I'm going through. 

I'm questioning if I will ever buy a Roku device if my television was outdated within five years, they are still selling Roku TV's (with the stick inside that can't be upgraded --- or Roku would have told us they can). Roku is hiding the fact we bought useless TV's.

Those don't exist any longer. So unless you're getting one used or really old stock, there are no Roku TVs that have a Stick installed inside. Those MHL Sticks (3400, 3420) were replaced by the 3500 HDMI Stick in March 2014. I doubt there are any TVs newer than that which still used the internal MHL Stick.

The current Roku TVs do NOT have an internal Stick. The TVs themselves run on the Roku OS.

Dan
Highlighted
Level 9

My neighbor just purchased a Roku TV and the Roku Stick is inside the TV just like mine. It's a newer version but looks exactly like mine. Has the same cover over the Roku Stick same as mine.

There is a cover on the back of the TV that looks like it can be unscrewed. Can I unscrew the cover, remove the Roku Stick, and connect the Roku Express+ (as the Roku 50% discount emails offer provides)?

I'm waiting for a response from a MODERATOR with the ROKU logo. There seem to be no moderators from Roku reading our complaints.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I can't say what your neighbor bought. I have two Roku TVs and neither have a panel on the rear covering a Stick. Do you have a make and model number of either your own or your neighbor's TV?

@RokuTannerD or @RokuDanny-R are the forum moderators. If you can't accept information from another user, then go in peace. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My guess is that Roku expects the TV manufacturer to provide support including for the Roku component of a "Roku TV".

0 Kudos