Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I can't get my Roku 2500x to connect to wifi

I purchased a used Roku 2500x without a remote. This a Wi-Fi only device. I reset the device and it goes to the language selection screen. I cannot get another remote to pair to this device. Does the device need to be unlinked from the prior owners account in order for me to use it? They are no help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 19

Re: I can't get my Roku 2500x to connect to wifi

Sorry, a compatible remote is required to set up any Roku device.  Once it's set up and connected to your local network you can also control the Roku with the Roku app on a phone or tablet connected to the same net.

The 2500 uses Infrared (IR) signals from the remote, but can't be controlled by wifi.  You can purchase the "Simple Remote" from Roku on this Accessories page.  Or you can use any inexpensive IR universal remote you find online or at a local store as long as it says it can control Roku devices.  Note Roku TVs use a different command set than Roku players so be sure you get the right one.

But the 2500 is an old unit which doesn't have the enhancements added to later models that many channel apps now require.  You might be better off putting your money toward a current model that supports higher resolution, runs faster, and will run all current channels.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 10

Re: I can't get my Roku 2500x to connect to wifi

The Roku 2500 will only support IR (simple) remotes and maybe the now-discontinued Bluetooth remotes that first shipped with the Roku 3 (4200). The modern Roku point-anywhere Wi-Fi Direct remotes do not work with the 2500.

0 Kudos