Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nmorse48
Reel Rookie

HDCP error message

All of a sudden, I cannot get anything on the Roku device I have been using for the past four or five years.  My device is a "Roku 2."  Now, when I try to watch something, all I get is the "HDCP error screen."  I have gone through the steps they suggest, and nothing changes.  There seems to be no way to actually communicate with the company to get any help on this.  I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me with this.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Painter-Lady
Channel Surfer

Re: HDCP error message

I'm too am having this issue, getting a HDCP error message, with my Roku Streaming Stick 3800X purchased November, 2018.  I made sure the setting was on 1080 dp.  My internet connection is excellent.  Did the unplugging and plugging as advised.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Nmorse48 wrote:

All of a sudden, I cannot get anything on the Roku device I have been using for the past four or five years.  My device is a "Roku 2."  Now, when I try to watch something, all I get is the "HDCP error screen."  I have gone through the steps they suggest, and nothing changes.  There seems to be no way to actually communicate with the company to get any help on this.  I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me with this.  Thank you in advance.

Assuming you've powered it off completely, tried a different HDMI cable, and tried a different HDMI port on your TV:

1)  What is the Roku's firmware version and update date? (Settings/System/System update/"Last updated:"=?

2) Did the TV's (unknown brand/model) firmware update recently? check the version etc.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Painter-Lady wrote:

I'm too am having this issue, getting a HDCP error message, with my Roku Streaming Stick 3800X purchased November, 2018.  I made sure the setting was on 1080 dp.  My internet connection is excellent.  Did the unplugging and plugging as advised.  

Assuming you've powered it off completely, and tried a different HDMI port on your TV:

1)  What is the Roku's firmware version and update date? (Settings/System/System update/"Last updated:"=?

2) Did the TV's (unknown brand/model) firmware update recently? check the version etc.

0 Kudos
Painter-Lady
Channel Surfer

Thank you, StreamerUser for your questions!  Actually, I did not change the HDMI cable, because the Roku stick is the device with the HDMI connector, it connects directly to the back of my TV into an HDMI port.  It does not have an HDMI cable.  It's only cable is a power cable.  (I do have a spare HDMI cable in case it's needed).

My TV is not a smart one, and it's old.  it's a Westinghouse VK-42F40S 1080p flat screen.  It never updates it's software.  It has software version 5710.1.6.0 , built on Dec. 10, 2007.

My Roku version is 9.4.0., last updated Dec. 19, last checked Mar 30 (it checks daily).

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Nmorse48
Reel Rookie

Thank you, StreamerUser.  Like Painter-Lady, my device is running version 9.4.0, updated on December 17.  I also have a "non-smart" TV, Samsung LCD flat screen from 2006 that is not updated.  I realize it may be time to get a more modern TV.  Could that be the problem?  The odd thing is that everything changed on March 29th, even though apparently there was no change in anything on that date as far as I can tell.  Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Firmware version 9.4.0-4210 was released today (3/31) - both of you @Nmorse48  @Painter-Lady  should check for updates and install it if available, and see if it resolves this issue.

0 Kudos
Painter-Lady
Channel Surfer

Apparently I do have the latest version.  I have version 9.4.0, build 4200.  I did the system update scan anyways, and it says I am up to date.  It also says the last update was made on Dec. 9.  I saw a system restart option, so I tried that but still got the HDCP error message.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

If you've both done all the troubleshooting steps (including powering off both your TV and Roku and anything else in the HDMI chain completely unplugged for several minutes), and you've checked for the just-released 9.4.0-4210 build and don't have it/aren't getting it (I cant say for sure it will even address the issue), then you can try contacting Roku directly:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

(The fact that you both have older TV's with HDCP 1.2/1.3 from around the same time and that the HDCP error started around the same time, suggests a change/bug in Roku's code or the revocation of a key for your devices)

Another option is to try a competitor's device (FireTV stick etc) - if you get HDCP errors with those, its likely a key was revoked for your TVs, in which case youd want to consider a new TV.

0 Kudos
Painter-Lady
Channel Surfer

Thank you so much!

If a key was revoked, I would hope Roku would just tell me and I would just go get a new TV. (In fact, FYI, I started doing research on new TVs.  Perhaps in another thread, I will ask your/the community's opinion of getting a non-smart TV.  It does not make sense to me to get both a Smart TV and a streaming device, since they basically are for the same purpose.  And, the streaming device does more.  Also, because Smart TV's are directly connected to the internet, they are vulnerable to hackers.)

I need to put this issue on hold until a later time. But I will keep you posted. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos