Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TV4Us
Level 7

Express+ with RCA outputs?

Jump to solution

It's extremely confusing that the current "Express+" model of Roku DOES NOT support older TVs as did the previous version of "Express+". When did they drop the RCA outputs? Does Roku make any model now that DOES have RCA outputs?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 17

Re: Express+ with RCA outputs?

Jump to solution

Welcome to Roku - The Microsoft of streamers!

No, they do not manufacture a model with composite anymore (the last was the 3910, and in fact they dumped remaining stock of 3910s earlier this year at firesale prices to current Roku users:  $15)

If you can find a model 3910 at a reasonable price that's your best bet (going now for $140 at Amazon, $15-30 (used) at eBay).

Otherwise, invest in a decent HDMI to composite converter/adapter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@TV4Us wrote:

It's extremely confusing that the current "Express+" model of Roku DOES NOT support older TVs as did the previous version of "Express+". When did they drop the RCA outputs? Does Roku make any model now that DOES have RCA outputs?

As to when they dropped support, it was Sept 2018 with the release of the Premiere+ 3931. The model 3910 was the last Roku player to support analog outputs. But Roku is not alone. You can no longer get analog outputs on a Fire TV device, and the Nvidia Shield has never supported it. You can probably find some generic Android players that might still have analog, but to be honest it is going to get much harder to find. You can't buy an analog TV any longer, so the demand is getting quite low.

If you must still have analog output, your only real option is an HDMI-analog converter. You can find them easily on Amazon for as little as $12. But be warned there's no certainty that a converter will work with the device you use. It's basically try/return/try another method. But some users here have reported success using such a converter. Just make sure it's a converter that goes HDMI to analog, and not the other way around. Sometimes the listing isn't clear until you look more closely at the details. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 17

Jump to solution

Welcome to Roku - The Microsoft of streamers!

No, they do not manufacture a model with composite anymore (the last was the 3910, and in fact they dumped remaining stock of 3910s earlier this year at firesale prices to current Roku users:  $15)

If you can find a model 3910 at a reasonable price that's your best bet (going now for $140 at Amazon, $15-30 (used) at eBay).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@TV4Us wrote:

As to when they dropped support, it was Sept 2018 with the release of the Premiere+ 3931. The model 3910 was the last Roku player to support analog outputs. But Roku is not alone. You can no longer get analog outputs on a Fire TV device, and the Nvidia Shield has never supported it. You can probably find some generic Android players that might still have analog, but to be honest it is going to get much harder to find. You can't buy an analog TV any longer, so the demand is getting quite low.

If you must still have analog output, your only real option is an HDMI-analog converter. You can find them easily on Amazon for as little as $12. But be warned there's no certainty that a converter will work with the device you use. It's basically try/return/try another method. But some users here have reported success using such a converter. Just make sure it's a converter that goes HDMI to analog, and not the other way around. Sometimes the listing isn't clear until you look more closely at the details. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
TV4Us
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks all for the confirmation and info.  Seems to me Roku should have changed the NAME to avoid the confusion of having completely different interfaces - both called "Express+".

@StreamerUser wrote:

It's more than that - I need HDMI -> composite -> RF Modulator.  We have a perfectly working classic console TV that only has antenna inputs.  Not interested in throwing it away - yet.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@TV4Us wrote:

Thanks all for the confirmation and info.  Seems to me Roku should have changed the NAME to avoid the confusion of having completely different interfaces - both called "Express+".

It's more than that - I need HDMI -> composite -> RF Modulator.  We have a perfectly working classic console TV that only has antenna inputs.  Not interested in throwing it away - yet.

Yeah, Roku has a very, very bad habit of reusing names when the player itself has significant changes. I really wish they'd stop that.

Wow, needing an RF modulator is even more outdated. However, it should be easy to find a generic modulator that can be used with any HDMI to analog converter. 

Personally, I'd hate going back to any display that doesn't offer at least 720p HD, unless I was hooking up an old time gaming console that only output NTSC resolution anyway. And I'm an old (person) who remembers before TV was in color Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Jump to solution

By any chance does that old TV have an old VCR nearby?  If so, they almost always have RF modulators in them.  I still have one of those in my video cabinet, along with a laserdisc player, mostly because modern video devices aren't big enough to use up all the space in there! Smiley Happy

atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

By any chance does that old TV have an old VCR nearby?  If so, they almost always have RF modulators in them.  I still have one of those in my video cabinet, along with a laserdisc player, mostly because modern video devices aren't big enough to use up all the space in there! Smiley Happy

Not a bad idea. Connect the HDMI to Analog converter to the input jacks of the VCR and use the channel 3 output of the VCR. A much bigger box that a simple modulator, but it has the benefit of no cost of you have one. 

Dan
0 Kudos
TV4Us
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Strega wrote:

Yes - good point!  Thank you for the suggestion.  That brings us back to my OP asking for Roku with RCA component outputs.  Disappointed it is no longer integrated in any Roku model as it WAS in the previous Express+.

0 Kudos