Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Desperately could use a second ROKU Express+ with Composite out (3910x is what I have)

I am looking for a second ROKU Express+ with composite out (like my 3910x I am already using).

I see Roku no longer has it in stock to sell. Checked Amazon and eBay and it's ridiculous what these guys are scalping these for on those places. $80-$100 for a $30 retail product.

I have to have the composite output, and HD 1080 is the highest I would need as the 4K and stuff would likely bog my stuff down network wise anyway.

If anybody can help, it would be so appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Desperately could use a second ROKU Express+ with Composite out (3910x is what I have)

@JackN777 wrote:

I am looking for a second ROKU Express+ with composite out (like my 3910x I am already using).

I see Roku no longer has it in stock to sell. Checked Amazon and eBay and it's ridiculous what these guys are scalping these for on those places. $80-$100 for a $30 retail product.

I have to have the composite output, and HD 1080 is the highest I would need as the 4K and stuff would likely bog my stuff down network wise anyway.

1080i (maybe 1080p, not sure) is the highest resolution you can push through analog composite, anyhow.

If you can't find an old Roku supporting composite, do a web search for HDMI TO COMPOSITE CONVERTER to find an intermediate device to use between a different Roku's HDMI output and the tv.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Desperately could use a second ROKU Express+ with Composite out (3910x is what I have)

@makaiguy wrote:

@JackN777 wrote:

1080i (maybe 1080p, not sure) is the highest resolution you can push through analog composite, anyhow.

If you can't find an old Roku supporting composite, do a web search for HDMI TO COMPOSITE CONVERTER to find an intermediate device to use between a different Roku's HDMI output and the tv.

You can check your local Walmart (even look on-line) to see if they have the 3910's in stock.  Anything you find anywhere WILL be NOS or used at this point.

To that end, using an HDMI to RCA (Component) converter may work, but not as you think.  The converter will not letterbox the content for a 4:3 display, so you will be left with a 16:9 image squeezed to fit in a 4:3 screen.

Composite (3-RCA; Red, White, Yellow) video can only do Standard Def 480i.  You can push 1080i through COMPONENT (5-RCA; Red and White for sound; Red, Blue, and Green for Video), but you'd be hard pressed to find support today since the analog sunset forces all non-HDCP devices to force output resolution down to 480i anyway over analog cables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Unfortunately, almost no one makes boxes with analog outputs any longer, unless you can find some no-name Android box with them. There simply isn't enough demand for new hardware, so the scalpers ask those crazy prices for what's remaining in stock.

I did a quick check on Amazon and found this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Atom-4K-Ultra-HD-Digital-Player/dp/B089VXSD1H/

However, it makes no mention at all of any apps, such as Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc. So that's probably not what you want. 

I did find this: https://smile.amazon.com/fireCable-HDMI-Adapter-Converter-Classic/dp/B0718V17Q6/ which is a HDMI to analog conveter for $20 and pretty good reviews. Just remember that you won't get an HD image with a converter like this. Analog does not support resolutions about 480/525i. You need a converter that does component output, which can offer 1080i or 720p. 

I make no claims that this equipment will function correctly with your TV and a Roku player. It is solely based on what the description says on the Amazon web site. Since they have a good return policy, I am not hesitant to suggest Amazon as a source. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks everyone.

A local Wal-mart had a 3910x listed as still in stock on their website. So I went to search for it. Seems it was clearanced at $9 and someone had got it already. The guy said their Inventory system was not accurate with all the CoVID-19 stuff going on.

I attempted some auctions on eBay for used devices, but I kept getting sniped at the last moment into ridiculous price ranges.

I ended up getting a refurbished Roku Express 3930XB HD with HDMI out, on eBay for $2.99 as luck would have it. I've been on eBay since 1998, and they offered a $25 coupon for their 25 years thing. The unit was $27.99 and free shipping.

I already had an HDMI to RCA converter I bought some time back, and since the TV it goes on is the old tube type SD is more than fine for that setup.

Supposed to arrive today. Gonna keep an eye out for another 3910X though if I can get one at a decent price, then I'll swap it out for that TV's use and use the 3930 HDMI on a newer TV.

So once again thanks everyone. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Well that didn't work, not sure what's wrong.

As luck would have it today both a used 3710rw and a refurbished 3910rw came up for auctions and I snagged them both. I know they will work directly composite out to the old TV. I'll just hook this 3930XB to a newer TV with HDMI at some point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

0 Kudos