Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Can I use a Roku 2 XS with a Windows 10 Home Laptop?

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku Ultra and a Roku Express + leaving me with an older unused Roku 2 XS that worked fine with a TV.  Can I use it somehow with a Windows 10 laptop that has an  HDMI port?  Is there a Windows Roku app?  How can I watch Roku channels from the Roku 2 XS on the laptop?  How do I set it all up?

Thank You in Advance.

Cal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Can I use a Roku 2 XS with a Windows 10 Home Laptop?

Jump to solution

@aliasAlas wrote:

I just purchased a Roku Ultra and a Roku Express + leaving me with an older unused Roku 2 XS that worked fine with a TV.  Can I use it somehow with a Windows 10 laptop that has an  HDMI port?  Is there a Windows Roku app?  How can I watch Roku channels from the Roku 2 XS on the laptop?  How do I set it all up?

Thank You in Advance.

Cal

The HDMI port on your laptop is an output, not an input. You cannot connect a Roku (or any other HDMI device) to that port for display on the computer. Very few computers have any sort of video input, usually only desktop models with a video capture card installed. Even with such a card, it would also have to support HDCP to allow video to be displayed in the capture software. 

As to what to do with your 2 XS, I suppose it weighs enough to use as a paperweight. I have two. One has been in a drawer for years, and the other I gave to my grandkids long ago and they don't use it either. It's just far too old and underpowered to be of much use. And Roku officially no longer supports it, so no further updates and channels will eventually begin to fail. Time to move on. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@aliasAlas wrote:

Thank You in Advance.

Cal

The HDMI port on your laptop is an output, not an input. You cannot connect a Roku (or any other HDMI device) to that port for display on the computer. Very few computers have any sort of video input, usually only desktop models with a video capture card installed. Even with such a card, it would also have to support HDCP to allow video to be displayed in the capture software. 

As to what to do with your 2 XS, I suppose it weighs enough to use as a paperweight. I have two. One has been in a drawer for years, and the other I gave to my grandkids long ago and they don't use it either. It's just far too old and underpowered to be of much use. And Roku officially no longer supports it, so no further updates and channels will eventually begin to fail. Time to move on. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks very much, Dan.

0 Kudos