Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SVJeff
Channel Surfer

Broken remote or just mismatched?

I was given a Roku 2 HD (model 2500X).  I couldn’t get the remote to work but I also didn’t have any fresh batteries. I was able to get it factory reset using my universal remote which was set for my Roku 3.

I put fresh batteries in the remote and it still does nothing to control the unit. It’s a model 9026000137.  I’m not familiar with the various remotes and was wondering if this remote could be designed for a different model.  I did notice that it doesn’t have a pairing button like my Roku 3 remote.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Broken remote or just mismatched?

The remote that came with the Roku 3 is a Wi-Fi Direct, point anywhere, remote.  It will also respond to an IR remote which is what your universal remote most likely uses.  With an IR remote you must have a clear line of sight to the front of the Roku.  If the Roku 3 is responding to your universal remote but the Roku 2  is not, it could be that the Roku 2's IR sensor is bad.  Although, you said you were able to use the universal remote to factory reset it, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SVJeff
Channel Surfer

Re: Broken remote or just mismatched?

I didn’t try the Roku 2 remote with the Roku 3 unit. When I plugged in the Roku 2 and couldn’t get its remote to work, I tried my Roku 3’s remote. That did nothing, so I thought maybe I had a dud. But I happened to think of the Logitech Harmony universal. When I tried that, it controlled the Roku 2 so I was able to do a factory reset.

After that, my WiFi wasn’t seen, so I did another reset using the onboard reset button. After rebooting, I was able to get online with my account and play a movie on the Roku channel.

Since I now know the unit works, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious before buying a replacement remote.

0 Kudos