Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nelsgilburtel
Reel Rookie

Brand New Roku Express Stuck in Setup

We just got a brand new Roku Express. When trying to set it up, I can't even get past the wifi selection screen before it freezes. I can tell by the little light flickers on the device itself that the signal is getting from the remote to the device but as soon as I get to the wifi selection screen, I can't select, move down or move back. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Vakko
Roku Guru

Re: Brand New Roku Express Stuck in Setup

If it is brand new then return it to the store you bought it from. Unless you bought it online. If you bought the base model Roku Express which is the 3930 that unit only comes with an IR remote. Be sure the remote has a clear line of sight to the Express box. What is the exact model number? 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @nelsgilburtel

We're here to help!

We would recommend starting with the troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working then let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
nelsgilburtel
Reel Rookie

Howdy! These tips did not fix the issue. I’ve tried new batteries, resetting the Roku Express device, removing it from the TV. Still can’t move past the language selection at the setup screen.

Any other ideas? I starting to pull my hair out with how slow our current one is and this brand new one still doesn’t work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nelsgilburtel, have you tried the remote from your current Roku on the new Roku?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
nelsgilburtel
Reel Rookie

Oh wow! That worked! I'm now able to set up the new Roku. Is there any tip to figure out that new remote then? Do I just need to take the batteries out of the old one? Do I need to replace it?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nelsgilburtel, I'm glad that worked!  As for the new remote, does it have a button in the battery compartment?  If not, it is an IR (infrared) remote.  There have been reports of new remotes coming with dead batteries or otherwise not working.  You can test an IR remote by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone and pressing a button on the remote.  You should see a flash of light on the camera screen.  Try it with the new and old remotes.  If the new remote is truly dead then about the only thing you can do is return the new Roku with its remote.  You can try contacting support at https://support.roku.com/contactus to see if they'll just send out a remote, but from what I've seen here that's pretty hit or miss.

And if there is a button in the battery compartment then it requires pairing.  Post back here or in the Remotes section if you need help with that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos