Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fancyface1
Level 7

Adding channel

Am trying to add ChaiFlicks channel that I have already paid for to Roku 2XS and constantly says:

Channel install failed/ Could not add "ChaiFlicks" error

Was able to add ChaiFlicks on another tv using a Firestick, but am unable to add to Roku that is hooked up to another tv in another room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Adding channel

The Roku 2XS is very old and no longer supported.  Most new channels will not work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
markhowe
Level 8

@fancyface1 wrote:

Am trying to add ChaiFlicks channel that I have already paid for to Roku 2XS and constantly says:

Channel install failed/ Could not add "ChaiFlicks" error

I have the same issue with a 3400x stick.  I have the channel installed on my computer but install fails on my TV.  Is the 3400 too old also?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@markhowe 

Looks like the 3400 falls into the "Legacy", or no longer unsupported/updateable category.  Roku is currently on 9.4 OS, the 3400 apparently is upgradeable only to 9.1 OS.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-is-ending-support-for-older-models/     

Links in the above article will take you to the official Roku development pages, but this article is easier to read and understand.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
markhowe
Level 8

Thank you.  After a complete 'factory reset' did not work, need to get a new one.  [Its not really that old.]

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@markhowe 

Don't know when you got your 3400 stick, but appears to be a 2012 model that was replaced by the 3600 series in 2016.  Currently in the 3800's for the stick series since 2017.  Looks to have had a good run.  Sometimes, the newer channels/apps are simply developed with the newer hardware and Roku software in mind.  Most likely the software limitation (9.1 vs 9.4) being the issue in your case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

markhowe
Level 8

The Roku stick came with a TV purchase in 2014.  Getting digitized has been a long and painful process, but now, here we are.  I hope it will be as simple as buying another modern stick!?!  Seems like nothing is simple.

Again, thank you for all the info.

markhowe
Level 8

I found a Roku Streaming Stick + .
Hope it will work.

JimsFarm
Level 7

It should be mandatory for Roku to advise you that the channel you paid for cannot be added to your Legacy system. CRIMINAL!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JimsFarm 

I know this info/advice is coming after the fact (as you have discovered), but the channel provider itself decides compatibility.  Roku merely provides the platform.

Best advice I can give it to download the channel prior to purchasing it and see if it even works.  Second is to always look for free trial offer (most offer it) prior to purchase.  Third is to visit the website of the Channel Provider and search for FAQs page to determine compatibility of devices and other info. (Most of these channels will have a corresponding website with contact info and program info).  Many will have direct link in Roku online Channel Store.

Unfortunately, for those with older devices, it is inevitable that newer channels will increasingly not work.  A workaround if you want to at least view your paid subscription until you can cancel is to see if you can stream online and either cast/mirror it to your tv via HDMI or mobile app.

For info that may be useful to others, what is your device and what was the paid Channel?

0 Kudos